SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windows 2k Problems

I was wondering if anyone had any information on Win2k. My problem is, I went out and got copy of Win2k. I backed up then formatted my HD, then attempted to install Win2K. I get to the point where it does it's initial installing then re-starts. My PC restarts then goes dead. All I get is a blank black screen. I thought maybe it was doing something (eventhough there was no drive movement) so I went and had a shower, ate supper, did dishes only to return to see it had done nothing.

I hope that it is compatible with my system! I've got a PII 350mhz processor with 384megs RAM. Don't ask me what my motherboard is please.

So I'm wondering, what the heck am I doing wrong? I've also downloaded updated (Win2k compliant) device drivers. Of course they are not installed yet as I've got an empty hard drive!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
    MediaOhgr - But then again, maybe it's just me ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had similar problems when I tried to install 2k onto my K6-2 400 laptop (192mb ram). I managed to install it but I could never get it to run in anything other than safe mode. I think it was a conflict with video drivers, I even tried to install the correct ones but all that did was put the machine in a continual memory dump and restart loop. I gave up in the end and re-installed Me and shortly after that the hard drive failed on me. It is now running XP with the drive converted to NTFS. I'm very happy with it as it very stable but I must admit it seems slower than Me but I can live with that. If you can get hold of a copy of it that would be my recommmendation.
    Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend just trying to format, then install again. I don't think it would be video drivers since it would be using generic drivers (VGA if needed) unless it knew your specific monitor. Make sure that when you restart for the 2nd round of installing to remove the CD, for it will atempt to boot the original setup again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blargh!

Still no go! Same problem. I asked a few friends and BIOS flashing came up. I'm not too sure I want to do that! Also video card and other hardware compatibility. BUT! If the hardware was the problem, would that not come up on the compatibility test (scan) that the installer does? It told me I had to un-install a few apps (which I did) and said that I'd need an update for my audio driver and that's it. I figure, if there were going to be a major hardware conflict that the installer would not let me get past the testing part?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bios or ram

I think the problem lies eiter in your bios (it happened to me, but mine is a laptop so I am not too sure if that might be the problem) or your ram. I heard about some people having problems installing windows 2000 because of a specific type of ram
    Ali Memon
    Direct Print

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know much about hardware and I know NOTHING about flashing the bios (why I don't want to do it). I know that I have SDRAM and AMIBIOS by American Megatrends. I wish I had the loot to go out and buy a new puter with XP on it. Then I'd make this bad boy a server just for fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Think flashing the bios is when you take the battery off your mb, and remove the bios chip, put a newer, more updated one in and but the battery back on the mobo. Chances are I'm probably wrong, but, you never know. Windows 2000 installed easy on my machine.
    Ken Prescott - 21Studios freelancing design
    Graphic-Forums - The Forums for the Graphic User

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Grandmaster
    I Think flashing the bios is when you take the battery off your mb, and remove the bios chip, put a newer, more updated one in and but the battery back on the mobo. Chances are I'm probably wrong, but, you never know. Windows 2000 installed easy on my machine.
    Actually, you are

Flashing the BIOS means downloading a software update for it. It is usually a bunch of files that you place on a disk. Then you boot off that disk, then the BIOS update occurs

Removing the battery will reset everything to factory defaults. It is usful if you set a boot password and forgot what it was

I would check the Hardware compatibility list for windows 2000, and make sure all your hardware is listed on it. There is obviously some peice of hardware on your machine that win2k does not like.

you can find the HCL on the microsoft web site

good luck
    --There's my 1.5 cents, now where is my change!?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I've a pile of work to do here so really do not have the time to fart around anymore. School is done on the 17th of December though so I think I'll look into it further then.

I'm going to get 2000 running on this thing if it kills me!

Thanks for all your help folks!