SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow [LAYOUT] Freelance portfolio --

I'm working on a freelance portfolio site for myself. It's been a while since I've done much designing, so I've got a little rusty...

I'm really unsure about this design, and I've started from scratch four times, but designer's block keeps coming back again and again.

I'm looking for all constructive feedback--if it's crap, tell me. Honestly.

Maybe some points to keep in mind:
    • logo
    • navigation
    • footer (too crowded? not enough? just plain useless?)
    • does the site just look plain weird?

P.S., the text is garbage--seems I also have writer's block today. What a day.

Before I forget, the link:
    ---old layout removed; see note below---

Regards,
    John

Edit: Please note: I'm starting again from scratch, so wait till then to comment/ criticise.
    Please give me some quick feedback on this logo/ colour scheme if you feel like helping. Thanks.
    Last edited by mcgrawj; Aug 23, 2006 at 13:04.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like the logo so much - I'd make the logo background white, along with the content, and have it all inside of one centered div with a border and contrasting page background. I'd also reconsider how the section headings look (the text introducing the text that follows) - possibly make it contrast more.

Hope that helps.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont like the logo either but its not bad overall. I would do something about that space to the left of the subnavigation, it looks odd. I think your footer is good. It breaks the page up and adds a bit of color. You could even make it bigger and add a bit more information on web standards etc. These kind of big footers seem to be quite fashionable at the moment.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like you font styling is a little all over the place - looks somewhat inconsistent...
    As far as the colours are concerned - not that keen on the red/orange and blue combination - can look quite 'fuzzy'.... I would also keep the menu background the same width as your footer - will pull things more into 1 solid layout, in my opinion.

The footer itself does seem a little much - but that will depend on how much content your pages will show. If you're keeping the pages short - I think it should be trimmed down a little - maybe some of the content could be on its own page?

just a few thoughts....

good luck
    GRAPHICEYEDEA.CO.UK
    Looking for a course in London?
    join us for 2010/11 now: design for the web (course website)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mcgrawj, please don't take this personally but I seriously think you gotta look for inspiration on the web. This design, this color combination, the layout it is all so 2000. And that's like saying, it is all 1970s. That's too bad.

Please work on the logo. You know, you can do a much better logo. I couldn't even do that logo u made out here. I am way too bad. Work on that color combination. Blue and Red. No Good. Try Blue and Brick-ish Red, like red mixed with brown and a subtle blue. The layout is nice. I see you are taking this thing into typical blog-like layout. It's good, I can't do that too. Stick to it. Just mind the spacing. And leave those lines out of the left navigation. Keep it clean.

I'd like to see a redesign, quite soon. Best of Luck.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input--and honesty :P

I'm deciding to redesign from scratch (again...), I'll work on a few logo concepts I was thinking about, hopefully some'll work out.

Colour-wise, I was thinking to try something with two blue hues, and a greenish accent, maybe? There are a few sites with good colour schemes I'll try to use for inspiration.

Thanks again for everyone for their comments--some good things to keep in mind while redesigning.

Now only if I can reuse this thread in a bit without the admins noticing...

Visit docquesting.com docquesting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Softer colors would help. Perhaps the blue as suggested. Try for a nicer logo to fit theme as well. The main content layout is a good start. The footer is too busy try for a different approach. The navigation it feels weird. Meaning that I don't care for all the way to the left. A nice centered css menu and more full would be nice.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though I should really start a new thread, I'm just wondering if I'm on the right track.

I've scrapped my old ideas, and started anew... new colours, too!

Could I get some input on the colours, maybe the font family, the overall look, and especially the 'logo' (the leaflike image), because I'm still unsure about it.

Thanks again for your help; hopefully if this logo works I'll have a new layout in not too long.

John

Can you describe the ruckus? silver trophy MissLee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi John,
    I can empathize with your dilemma; I've been working on revamping my own site for months and have started & stopped at least a dozen times trying to get the 'right' look. Still haven't, btw, so take this FWIW.

Regarding the logo: The first thing that strikes me is that it doesn't tell me a thing about you or your style. This is your portfolio; you're selling/showcasing your personality as well as your work. The leaf seems incongruous to the name, it doesn't say 'digital', (is that binary code in the leaf or text or just lines?) and it definitely doesn't say 'revolution'. You've got a great, strong name and I think the graphic portion of the logo should reflect that exciting, explosive dynamic. I'd expect to see something bold, something with energy that impacts the visitor and sticks in the memory. Something that made you say 'Wow!'

On text orientation: I think the font is fine, the layout is fine (with digitalrevolution together & design in a different color). I would drop 'the portfolio of' and just use your name and align it right with the top text. Keep the dividing line but make it a bit thinner, it's pretty heavy.

Colors...colors can be changed at a click all day long so don't sweat them right now. Find the graphic element and the colors will fall into place.

What about using part of an existing design from your portfolio? Is there anything you've done that you really love that has that digital revolution feel? If you want to keep a softer element, like the leaf, how about giving it an over-the-top digital feel? Make the pattern within out of huge binary code or go hard core with metallics and funky lighting. Maybe go industrial with rivets or rust. Don't think about what everyone else is doing or what people expect to see...you can show them you can do the 'standards' within the portfolio or thumbnails right on the main page but make the logo intense.

That's my two cents. I wish you the best!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    McGraw you are talking about a digital revolution here. The leaf, it doesn't look to revolutionary. On colors, Misslee is right, work on the logo u can color it later. I think you are good at making logos, maybe that's because I am not good at it. I think you just need to work your mind in a singular direction. The leaf and the revolution are way too far to connect in your audience's minds. I also think the font is not that good. Too minimal for your coloring and logo. This font is good for blogs but not for a portfolio.

Remember, its all about showing your creativity. This portfolio is your creative playground and your audience should know exactly that when they arrive. It's good to see that you have changed very positively.

Laters.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, syedasif and MissLee. Really helpful.

Yes, the leaf isn't too revolutionary. Yes, that's binary code, but it's way too small. Maybe I'll try using a larger size binary text, which then transitions into smaller font sizes as each line passes--hopefully it would help create some type of illusion where the binary "transforms" into the leaf--I would say that's revolutionary, somewhat.

I'll try some other lighting or possibly metallic effects too; I'll see how those look. The font and layout I'll fool around with, too.

Thanks again for the great input; it's really a help. Maybe I'll edit this post when I get some free time to work on the logo a bit more.

Visit docquesting.com docquesting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think images in terms of the name. Otherwise it is better than you started with.