SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont have a ruby host, is there a way to run files on my pc?

hey
    i want to start learning ror
    but i dont want to "waste" my money on a ruby host just incase i end up sticking with php
    is there a program that lets you tun ror and mysql on a windows xp PC or a linux ubuntu PC?

also, whats so good about ror?
    is it faster than PHP?
    who here used to be a PHP person, but switched to ROR?
    why did you switch?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi,

yep, its possible to run Ror on ur local PC either xp or linux, this is the usual way to develop rails applications.
    u have to install mysql separately.
    there is a quick demo how to set up ror on a windows machine:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2...ls.html?page=1

i didn't use php before, so i couldn't answer the other questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! you can run Ruby on your desktop, and should even when you have a host (for developing your applications). Ruby/Rails runs well on Windows as well as Linux. A little searching will find lots of tutorials on installing rails. There is also a one click installer for Windows, that sets up quite a bit of what you need.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Windows, browse Google for Instant Rails. For your first question, again, Google. Ruby is slower then PHP, but Rails is faster then the PHP clones. I made the transition from PHP, everything that I was striving for in PHP was already present in Rails, and in my opinion, in most cases the Rails implementation is much better then the PHP one. A few examples:

- A full blown testing environment, PHPUnit nor SimpleTest can compare.
    - ORM mapping, just something else I'd have to implement in a majority of my PHP projects.

Ruby is missing a good IDE, I don't know if I actually need one though as Rails doesn't get nearly as messy as PHP can. RadRails is alright, not very stable and it's built in database administrator rarely works. RORed is nice, but I'd hardly call it an IDE. If you prefer Python to Ruby then there is also Django. I'm not a big fan of the developer or the community, but it's definitely the lesser of two evils when compared to PHP. Keep in mind, when Adrian Holovaty is ranting about Django (More often then not, taking shots at Rails.) 80% of what he says might as well be coming from his rear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are coming from PHP you want to first learn how to program in Ruby and then learn Ruby on Rails. It is less frustrating. You can also use Ruby just like you would PHP by installing eRuby. Most web host that run Rails also have eRuby installed. eRuby is a much better way of getting started with Ruby than Rails.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ohh I see
    thanks for everyones advice :]