User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I change bullet point colour and bolding font

First a bit of background:

The style sheet below is referenced by a number of pages. It is called 'textstyle.css'

div.textstyle

h1{font: 1.4em bold Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;color:#808080;text-align:left;
    }
    h2,{font: 1.0em inherit Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;color:#808080;text-align:left;margin-left:20px;margin-bottom:-16px;
    }
    p,ul,td{font: 0.8em bold Verdana, Geneva, Arial , Helvetica, sans-serif;color:#000;list-style:disc;
    }
    .main:link{font: 1.0em bold Verdana, Geneva, Arial , Helvetica, sans-serif;color:#000;text-decoration:underline;
    }
    .main:visited{font: 1.0em bold Verdana, Geneva, Arial , Helvetica, sans-serif;color:#ff000;text-decoration:underline;
    }
    .main:active:hover{font: 1.0em bold Verdana, Geneva, Arial , Helvetica, sans-serif;color:#808080;text-decoration:underline;
    }

I used a div tag to separate this formatting on the pages because one of my pages also references another style sheet and I didn't want the two to influence each other:

<div class="textstyle">

<table width="800">
    <tr>
    <td align="right"><a href="/index.php" class="main">Home</a> | <a href="/contactus.html" class="main">Contact Us</a> | <a href="/meetingtips.html" target="_new" class="main">Tips for Meeting</a> | <a href="/links.html" class="main">Links</a>
    <td>
    <tr>
    </table>

</div>

There are three things I'm trying to do:

1. Add bullet points to the h2 headings but change their colour from black to red
    2. Make the h2 font weight heavier - I've tried bolding and replacing with 900 but it remains the same
    3. Make visited links red. Currently visited links come out as the default purple

Now, I think that points 2 and 3 are not working because I'm mixing up class names and not using the div tag properly. I think point 1 is not working cos it has something to do with the hierarchy of the cascade.

Anwers and correct syntax will be gratefully received.

Many thanks in anticiption of help

liberatortoo

SitePoint Enthusiast splashpoint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, first of all you should put your styes in a <style> tag in the head of your document, not in a div.

The rules in your linked external style sheet will still affect your document, but the stuff in your embeded style tag should over-rule them, because they are probably more specific and closer to the html you want to affect.

So here's how your style tag should look:

Code:
    <style>
    div.textstyle h2{display:list-item; list-style:inside disc; font-weight:bold; color:#FF0000; } /* this will only affect h2s inside a div with the class textstyle*/

/* these rules will apply to any a inside a container with the class main */

.main a{font: 1.0em bold Verdana, Geneva, Arial , Helvetica, sans-serif; color:#000; text-decoration:underline; }  
    .main a:visited{color:#FF0000; }
    .main a:hover, .main a:active {color:#808080; }
    </style>
    and here's the html
    Code:
    <div class="textstyle">

<table width="800" class="main">
    <tr>
    <td align="right"><a href="http://splashpoint.net" >Home</a> | <a href="/contactus.html">Contact Us</a> | <a href="/meetingtips.html" target="_new">Tips for Meeting</a> | <a href="/links.html">Links</a>
    <td>
    <tr>
    </table>

<h2>foo</h2>
    </div>
    You might want to consider using a list to hold your links rather than a table. Have a look at this: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411155

Hope that helps.

mark

SitePoint Enthusiast splashpoint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're welcome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)