User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi --

I'm going to be launching a community for actors and want to keep it as professionally looking as possible. With this in mind, is my "only" choice to spring the $89 or so and install the Ultimate Bulletin Board (the very one that this site uses!) OR is it "acceptable" in the professional world to go with a remotely hosted quality bulletin board like coolboard.com, for example?!

Thanks for your replies.

Josh

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This question actually belongs in the Web Design Forum but...

Any script you host on your own server with your own configuration and ads is better than a remotely hosted script. Remotely hosted scripts are good only if you do not have the capabilities to run them on your own.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    Internet Media Provider

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply wluke --

Another question in point; Would it be better to then install, let's say, WWWBoard (for free) which seems to look visually less attractive than the UBB, or should I spring the money and install the UBB which might look better and give more features to me?!

Thanks,
    Josh

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is also http://www.ultraboard.org/ I think it is still free and it's very similar to this ubb board and I believe better too. But I think the auther might put a price on it soon since its a big one to code.

[This message has been edited by Sadwebmaster (edited March 08, 2000).]

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ultraboard is a great program, but all pages are generated dynamically. The script doesnt create html pages like the UBB script. Because of the fact that the pages are created dynamically, if you have a large amount of visitors ur board then this will cause a huge strain on the server. Many hosts have complained about this board. I love it, its only this fact that stops me from using it.

I say, go for the UBB if you expect some decent traffic. Or go with ultraboard if you REALLY dont want to spend money and will not have that much traffic.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your replies...

Well I think crosswire convinced me. I had previously heard negative feedback (perhaps even minor) regarding the ultraboard, and with your very insightful points in mind, I do plan on (and will work for) decent traffic and a big community web site and I'm not against spending the money, so I believe, with all the helpful replies, my choice is made!

Thanks,
    Joshua

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have installed Ultraboard before and didn't have a problem. If you go to the support forum you can even download some graphics that make it look very similar to UBB.

The reason so many people install UBB is because it was one of the first of its kind available to the masses for a low price, low compared to the hundreds of thousands sites like Yahoo and Geocities paid for their bulletin board systems. They have built up a good brand name and people follow that.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    Internet Media Provider

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would sway heavily towards the UBB due to less server strain. Trust me, it is not the easiest on a server, but it is lighter than Ultraboard, and when you have a traveled BBS you will want it.

It is hard to switch later, so it is better to think about it first, because down the line if you have a traveled BBS you may not be able to transfer the threads and Members!

------------------
    http://www.were-here.com

Matt Mickiewicz
    SitePoint Community Guest
    There are advantages to having your forum remotely hosted. Just take a look at what CoolBoard.com (a WR advertiser) offers in terms of features:
    http://www.coolboard.com/aboutfeatures.cfm

They are an especially good choice for those worried about not having enough people posting, as you can share posts with other forums in your category.

------------------
    http://www.webmaster-resources.com
    Articles, Reviews & Resources for webmasters!