SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

image permissions

I am doing some updates for a website (which was previously badly developed) but i am having real issues with images.

Sometimes they won't show at all, and sometimes they will. The wierd thing is that when the images aren't showing then looking into the source code the image reference are there. Yet when they do show the src code is there. I have been a developer for years and this is the strangest thing.

Could it be due to file permissions? And if so would this account for why it is not shown on source code...

Very confused.
    Eternity

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It may very well be that those images were saved as CMYK jpg's instead of RBG. If that's the case, they will not show because screens only work with RBG. CMYK is only for printing.

Take one of the images, and use your favorite image software to change the mode to RBG and save it and see what happens.

edit: do you mean that the same image sometimes shows and sometimes it doesn't? Because then, it is not a problem how it was saved, but a loading issue. Possibly a bandwidth issue from the client, or some kind of partial loading error. Look to your server statistics.

SitePoint Evangelist Worldbuilder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only other thing I can think of is that if you're recoding the page and pointing to "image.jpg", for example, but the actual filename is "image.JPG", it won't ever work. Case-sensitivity...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok after much looking into things i still dont' see how this could have caused the problem, but it seems that when the images were src by root address, then they showed.

If they have the full web addreess then they didn't always show.

I don't understand it, but it seems to be working after changing the location...

Bizaar
    Eternity