SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to Find the right people for the right job?

Hi All,

First off let me apologise if this is in the wrong place, as i am not quite sure were to post this.

I am seeking a little advise on how to commission and track down suitable people to program various php sites for me.

How do you vett a persons suitability and function to perform the task, combined with the fact you want to retain confidentiality and ensure no code/etc is sold on after you have finished working with them?

I thought i would ask you all direct as programmers?

Also if you could guide me to a place to find programmers that would fit this requirement, as i am going to be posting in the contests section, however the last 2 attempts didnt seem to get responses from programmers.

Thank you all in advance for any help, guidance and advice.

Regards,
    Ahmed

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd suggest looking for somewhere other than here. Fact is the vast majority of people found within this forums are painfully obvious newbies to the language, and finding talented people will prove to be difficult. Many of us already have a stable job and ample freelance work so are not always out and looking for a new project.

I'd honestly suggest checking out #PHP on efnet or freenode -- Many talented coders hang out there and even the average newbie on IRC is a bit better than the folk who just google a script and then cut & paste the results to this forum in complaint.

There is a jobs board within this forum, post reasonable jobs with reasonable pay rates and you'll attract some talent. Ask to see projects that people have worked on before. Ask a coder to make a mock-up script doing something and get other equally decent coders to review it.

For confidentiality, just enter into a legally binding contract. That assures they will get paid and you'll get your work accomplished in a timely manner. Along with the added security of being able to fall-back onto legality of they try to reuse or sell the code they created for you.

I'd be wary of the online programming farms that boast talented coders for $5/hour or something equally absurd. Sure, your code may work, but it's likely going to cause problems down the road with modification, scability or security issues.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are many places where you can find freelance programmers. I own one of those websites where you can post your projects and get bids from freelance programmers.
    You can always ask the programmer you choose to sign a confidentality agreement and put it in writing (get a contract) that the same script will not be used anywhere else.

Best of luck

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ablaye
    There are many places where you can find freelance programmers. I own one of those websites where you can post your projects and get bids from freelance programmers.
    You can always ask the programmer you choose to sign a confidentality agreement and put it in writing (get a contract) that the same script will not be used anywhere else.

Best of luck
    There are additionally places like rent-a-coder, e-lance, script-lance along with a battalion of web sites that specialize in programming.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZareMedia
    I'd suggest looking for somewhere other than here. Fact is the vast majority of people found within this forums are painfully obvious newbies to the language, and finding talented people will prove to be difficult. Many of us already have a stable job and ample freelance work so are not always out and looking for a new project.
    As someone who has been a member of this forum quite some time, I must say there are many excellent programmers who are Site Point members and are not novices. Ses5909 is just one of them. To find them, just post a thread in "looking to hire" or look through the advertise your services forum.

To find a good programmer, simply ask to see a portfolio, ask for references (and check them), and do any of the usual things you would do when hiring a person to do a job.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    elance.com or rentacoder.com