SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what makes a good content?

i'm currently running a graphcis designs forum.. i whated to make to forum to help poeple with graphcis help.. simplar to siteponit one.

i hope one day i can be as big as them..hehehe. At the moment i'm getting a lot of page views but no one is register. could it be my content that people don't like? How can i better the forum so that they can stay and register?..

The soultion i thought would be sence i'm using phpBB and there are no support for graphics i decided to offer free graphcis and themes for phpBB users. And my rules was that u have to register as a member and list your phpBB forum. I thougt this way i can attract members.Instead of getting the audience i want i get people wanting grapchis for notting and show me no support. they register and don't even bother to post..

what am i doing worng? am i demanding too much?
    what can i do to improve my forum? Should i contuie to offer free graphcis?

help.. i'm confused..hehe.. at the moment i feel like dumping the whole thing away..

sorry about the long post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there

GREAT looking forums!

With it being a forum about graphics, I would start with posting small tutorials on how to do certain things - and if you're willing to help people with their problems, make that clear!

I'm often looking for a graphics/flash forum, but they tend to think the other users already know something about it, instead of them being completely clueless (as I am). So fill your forums with posts with tips and tricks, even if they're tips you consider second nature.

You have a 'cool site' forum -- post some examples! Then people will post their own, or comment on your choices. In the 'site check' forum, ask some friends if you can post theirs just to kickstart the forum off.

If you have any examples of flash/3d/whatever lying around on your hard disk, post them to the forum, with some notes on how you achieved the results.

Basically, the forums are empty for the moment, so you need to get them looking busy before people will post - a lot of people tend to lurk, just reading posts, and will do so for a while before taking the plunge and posting. Yes, users tend to be shy, particularly if they're not used to using forums

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions - I'm not a king of content, but I hope to be able to help somehow!

Mark

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanxx for the info that really helped.
    i have another question i recently add another catergory call trafic building and the forum are "building a community to improve traffic" and "traffic building ideas. Should i have that on my forum or should i leave it as is?.

Regarding posting small totorials, that's a good idea but i'm really crap at writting.hehe, but it doesn't mean that i can't try. i have posted one or two pics of my work. and i'll post some more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think, as far as the tutorials go, don't worry about the writing -- show them examples with screenshots Don't worry if it takes up screens worth of scrolling, your users will love it, and will probably even bookmark them.

You're a graphics forum - show off your graphics skills!!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    kool thanks.. i'll try to write a brief desciption on how i did it..,
    about setting rules?. do u think i should set rules and guidlines? at the moment there are no rules.. if i set rules will that drive memebers away?

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first post in this forum!

I think it is good to have your rules set out, then every member will be clear

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've recently add a front page to the forum.. explaning what the forum is all about. It that a good idead? will that improve my forum?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Letting people know what the forums are about is definitely a good idea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your new frontpage works well.
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime