User Tag List

Thread: plagarism

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

plagarism

I was wondering, I am about to start my website on networking and obviously all the information that I've acquired have been out of all the books that I've read. I won't won't be copying the stuff, I'll be putting the stuff in my own words, but am I still obliated to give credit to the author. The problem is that a lot of the info that I have is from working alongside with professional networking people.

To make it short, are ideas copyrighted? In research papers you're supposed to give parenthetical references even if you paraphrase. Does the same apply to a website?
    signature

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ideas cannot be copyrighted. Also if you paraphase someone else's words, you do not need to give parenthetical/footnotes, only if you directly quote that person.
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sparkie
    Also if you paraphase someone else's words, you do not need to give parenthetical/footnotes, only if you directly quote that person.
    I think we need to reference paraphrased work too. Well, at least that is what I am required to do in University and I guess it should apply outside University also

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that it's still good practice to give credit to everyone who directly helped you out. If, however, you're writing about what you've learned on your own (even if you learned from someone) it's not necessary. Can you imagine citing everyone who you've ever learned something from every time you write something?

I guess what I'm trying to write is that if you're explaining something in your own words, and not the words of someone else, than it's your work. Does that make since?

BTW, I think that this should probably have been placed in the business and career management forum...

~~Hope This Helps

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is polite to reference but not required
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: plagarism

Originally posted by FuDOG
    I was wondering, I am about to start my website on networking and obviously all the information that I've acquired have been out of all the books that I've read. I won't won't be copying the stuff, I'll be putting the stuff in my own words, but am I still obliated to give credit to the author. The problem is that a lot of the info that I have is from working alongside with professional networking people.

To make it short, are ideas copyrighted? In research papers you're supposed to give parenthetical references even if you paraphrase. Does the same apply to a website?
    Well, you probably won't get sued...

Not a post-script error?!! guysmy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to add unique experiences you've had to your writing. Make it read more 'one to one' than a textbook!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unique is always the best way where to go
    Our Sites: Arcade Muffin | Viefex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you've 'digested' the information and made it your own, you won't need to reference or get permission. You want your writing to be "transformative".

Rule 1: Are You Just Copying or Creating Something New?

The purpose and character of your intended use of the material involved is the single most important factor in determining whether a use is a fair use. The question to ask here is whether you are merely copying someone else's work verbatim or instead using it to help create something new. The Supreme Court calls such a new work "transformative." The more transformative your work, the more likely your use is a fair use.

http://www.nolo.com/encyclopedia/articles/tc/nn75.html

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty much going to write this stuff off the top of my head, so I guess that counts as "digesting the informaition, right?
    signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, just check it over when you're done and make sure it's all properly digested.