SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can a non-resident open a US, Delaware, company?

Hi all,

I'd like to open a US branch of my online business to better serve US customers. I've looked into it and it looks like Delaware companies are the most popular since Delaware has the best corporate laws.

I've also noticed that there is a TON of places online where you can register ("buy") incorporation online. How credible are these online places?

Also, how can a foreign citizen (I'm from Canada) get an Employer Identification Number (EIN) a.k.a. Federal Tax Identification Number so that I can accept payments and employ people? Has anyone gone through this?

Thanks!!!

Melissa

Visit docquesting.com docquesting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were you go directly to the state and get the paper work sent too you. I did myself awhile back without the help of a lawyer. It really was quite simple. You will of course need others for on the board of the company. I think the secratary of states office would be the one to contact if I remember right. http://delaware.gov/

For the tax id you should be able to get from the irs. Especially as your looking to expand a current business I am sure they would be very glad to help. On second thought. If you get a corperation you probably have some sort of corperate id number in which would act as a tax payer id. Or just get one for this and not yourself as an individual. Here is the irs website. http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/index.html

So far as the online services. Its usually better to go direct.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no problems, you can do this without much problems