SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

14 Tips for Communicating Ideas

I found this article at lifehack.org (great blog, by the way): 14 Tips for Communicating Ideas

After reading the article (and you should read it, too), I immediately thought of how this must be applied in the consulting industry.

Many new consultants make the mistake of failing to describe the benefits of their service because they get caught up in the technical aspects of their product or service. Here's a couple of quotes from johntabita in a thread titled "Where am I going wrong?":

Quote Originally Posted by johntabita
    ... Forget you're a web designer and put on the hat of the CEO, President, Marketing Manager, etc. Learn to understand how they think and what's valuable to them.
    CEOs, Presidents, Marketing Managers, and the like don't care about PHP, perl, MySQL, CSS, or osCommerce. You need to explain to these people, in their language, what the value of your finished product is to them. Cutting costs or increasing sales is a good place to start.

Sell your prospects on "warm fuzzies" and not boring details. The details will come later, after you've been commissioned for the project.

I hope this provided food for thought.

Cheers,
    Jeff
    Jeffrey Hunt, freelance PHP & MySQL developer
    Resume: http://www.jeffreyhunt.org/resume/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, boy. I clicked on the wrong forum. Is there a moderator that can move this to the "Business & Legal Issues" forum, please?

Thanks!
    Jeffrey Hunt, freelance PHP & MySQL developer
    Resume: http://www.jeffreyhunt.org/resume/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Agreed!

It's how their business will prosper, not the operating system, that is important to the client. But tell them what they are getting when it's down to the contract.

mp/m