SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheerleading Team Website

This is my first attempt at adhering to as many web standards as possible and also using a purely tableless design (except when displaying tabular data).

I purposefully avoided the glossy, auto performance kit-esque, flash-heavy, audio-heavy design typical for these kinds of sites. It may be a little more parent friendly this way

I would sincerely appreciate any feedback.

http://www.emeraldallstars.com

Thanks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not a big fan of green but nice try

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

Indeed a very parent friendly page, but You should have used the logo @ http://www.emeraldallstars.com/competitions/

The distribution is ok, the javascript effect in the menu can be tyring, but to my joy I deactivated javascript and seems like it can be navigated too, very good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzying
    I am not a big fan of green but nice try
    Wow. Thanks for the review.

Well, I guess I could have used something other than the team's official color.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joaquin_win
    ... but You should have used the logo @ http://www.emeraldallstars.com/competitions/
    They wanted something else used for the site; that logo was being reworked and they didn't have the new one yet. Whenever they do, I'll put it in more prominently.

Quote Originally Posted by joaquin_win
    ... the javascript effect in the menu can be tyring, but to my joy I deactivated javascript and seems like it can be navigated too, very good.
    I totally agree, but the kids love it . And the parents actually requested it. The old site had one, but it didn't degrade well at all. I love the way this one works. It was developed by Angus Turnbull at http://www.twinhelix.com. He really put a lot into it and the documentation is outstanding.

Thanks, Joaquin!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that its tableless, but the first thing that comes to mind when I look at it is, BUSY. It look very busy with the star and leaf backgrounds that you have. They are also conflicting with the text. The site definitely has potential to become very nice. If you can make it a little more organized. Alignment of the quick links along with the right edge of the header/banner would be a start. If you have header then you should have a footer. Nothing fancy just a colored bar going across the bottom and then you can have the Copyright info. Also its hard to see the order of pages that you have set to show when the user goes deeper into the tree of links. EX: Home » Competitions » 2006 - 2007 Schedule. Its barely visible. Maybe if you have it right above the main navi it might be easier to spot.
    But I think its a cool start, just my 2 cents.

Keep it up.

knite...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by knite786
    I like that its tableless, but the first thing that comes to mind when I look at it is, BUSY. It look very busy with the star and leaf backgrounds that you have. They are also conflicting with the text. The site definitely has potential to become very nice. If you can make it a little more organized. Alignment of the quick links along with the right edge of the header/banner would be a start. If you have header then you should have a footer. Nothing fancy just a colored bar going across the bottom and then you can have the Copyright info. Also its hard to see the order of pages that you have set to show when the user goes deeper into the tree of links. EX: Home » Competitions » 2006 - 2007 Schedule. Its barely visible. Maybe if you have it right above the main navi it might be easier to spot.
    But I think its a cool start, just my 2 cents.
    Thanks, knite. I really appreciate your feedback; this is the kind of stuff I need to be thinking about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem, we all need some direction sometime. Its easier when someone esle tells you. Its happened to me many times.
    knite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there, I think you've got a good idea going it might just need a bit of tidying up.

The first thing I noticed when the site loaded is that, because I browse using a large window (1600x1200ish!), the footer moves to the top-right of my window, in-line with the header! I also think it's a bit busy, if you want to keep the stars everywhere it might be better to fade them out a lot more so they are not as intrusive. Could do with a bit more attention paid to the alignment of the individual elements to give the site a smoother feel.

I'm not convinced with the colour combinations. The blue links look out of place and make it come accross a little unfinished. Could maybe use more of the green for the links (possibly just slightly less bright and bold). And the menu seems a little dark. It might be worth bringing in another, lighter shade of green in other areas of the site (background to the header, footer etc). It will help to pull it together and tone down the other green at the same time.

It's not supposed to be negative, sorry if it come accross a bit that way. The actual site overall is working well.
    "Everything should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler" - Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by obliquegeek
    ... It's not supposed to be negative, sorry if it come accross a bit that way. The actual site overall is working well.
    No, no, not at all. This is very helpful for me. I agree with your (and knite's) assessment, actually. This version, while live, is the first version. It hasn't been scrutinized in this way yet. So, thank you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, its actually quite nice. But you used a spiderman font on some of the pages.. "Tiny team" for example. thats a no! lol You got a nice header effect though, but as some other people have said its a bit busy. Shoutbox+background mainly. The JS rollover was quite nice i thought though. Also as someone else said I think the logo could be changed

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Change the logo to the one you have on your shirts, looks alot nicer

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the green. The page loads quickly, but there isnt really very much graphically holding that back. As such, it seems slightly bland to me compared to some of the other sites listed here and at other review sites. I dont know, it just seems to need some 'jazzing' up in my eyes. However, compared to other smaller cheerleading sites, this one isnt too bad. I just think you should strive to always beat the competition. Otherwise, why compete?
    http://www.ifshtf.com
    From Apocalypse to Zombies, we've got you covered.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The green is a bit overwhelming, although i understand it is your colors, so that may be good for the types of visitors you would be recieving. Other than that, I think the site looks great. Very easy navigation, very easy to get around.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like the retro feel of the logo and sun ray effect... the cut out cheerleaders looks a little amateur but it's cool. seems like all the info is put in good areas to make it easy to browse. first cheerleading site i've looked at.... besides the Raiderettes! yeah!
    www.deezbrand.com - Put A Funny Tee Store On Your Site!
    www.deezteez.com - Funny T-Shirts

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I liked your website very much, but while giving it a quick glance, i came across two points.
    1) The flowers and leaves used as the background makes the text unclear to read and divert from visitor.
    2) you have provided a link at the bottom of the page "Another productions" or something similar, but it does not appear as a link unless a mouse is rolled over to it.

-------------------------------------------------
    Sheetal Dadhwal
    http://minglenow.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    Some notes about you page. It looks good, especially I like the menu very much, but there are also some cons I think.

First disturbing issue is that I am unable to do right-click due to your "hidey-hoo NO RIGHT-CLICK SCRIPT". I think that the logo does not look very good, it could be done a bit more professional.
    What is more the site is a bit messed in my browser(I am using Mozilla Firefox on Slackware linux). You could arrange the shoutbox and the photo of girls upon that better.
    The last thing - I am using 1280x1024 and there is a border under the white-space header.

Best regards,
    Peter & Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheetal Dadhwal
    1) The flowers and leaves used as the background makes the text unclear to read and divert from visitor.
    Yeah, this seems to be a big complaint - I changed the opacity so it's lighter

Quote Originally Posted by Sheetal Dadhwal
    2) you have provided a link at the bottom of the page "Another productions" or something similar, but it does not appear as a link unless a mouse is rolled over to it.
    It actually says "Another That's Me Production" and it links to my company site. That's just my credit link. I don't like to make my "designed by" link a big, bold, underlined, blue one sitting next to my animated logo image

Thanks for your review!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wave studio
    First disturbing issue is that I am unable to do right-click due to your "hidey-hoo NO RIGHT-CLICK SCRIPT".
    Yeah, is this a big accessibility/usability no-no? I never really looked into it. The team owners wanted to have some superficial image-download protection for their players. I'll research that a bit more.

I think that the logo does not look very good, it could be done a bit more professional.
    Any suggestions? I'm totally open to ideas - I have a graphic designer I usually collaborate with, but not on this site

What is more the site is a bit messed in my browser(I am using Mozilla Firefox on Slackware linux). You could arrange the shoutbox and the photo of girls upon that better.
    The last thing - I am using 1280x1024 and there is a border under the white-space header.
    Would you mind posting a screenshot of what the site looks like on your system? Might be a lot to ask of a simple site review, but I would love to see it - I don't have a linux system handy for testing.

Thanks a lot for your review, P & B.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theme is good for your audience.

Resizing the window is trying on the layout. Pics move around on you.

I would stretch the links on the bottom into one or two rows.

A little more descriptive in your content. If a user is really looking at your site for classes they will want as much info they can get.

Color scheme is good. Green may need toned down on the menu.

the poll is great for the audience also.
    Search it. Find it. Win.
    SearchWorm.com