User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SudokuSaviour.com

Hi,

My dad and I have been working on a sudoku playing board. You can view it here. sudokusaviour.com

The idea was intially just to be a website that assists the user in solving difficult sudoku puzzles. The playing board gives the user the ability to get a hint (1 more number), save and load, add numbers for working (scratch pad above), highlight rows OR solve completely.

My dad coded the playing board, I designed it and created the website. We are after feedback on both (the game and the website).
    This is a project in development. All reviews will help us improve it.

The logo for the site is pretty boring, I am actually thinking of putting up a logo comp on here for a logo.

Please... all reviews / opinions / testing will be greatly appreciated.

www.sudokusaviour.com

Justin Gray

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea how to play sudoku, but I love the look of that site. I agree the logo is a little boring and think you should try and spice it up a little, but don't go over board, as the site is very simple, and a very flashy, overly-designed logo might ruin some of that simpleness. Just my thoughts, I really like it though!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great. I love the way the container for the sodoku board fades out like that. My only recommendation is to make the margin on all three sides of the board consistent.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Change back ground color.

www.HUMMERHUMMER.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is nothing I could really say about this site. I love the white square that houses the actual content (game). It makes a really good looking border and contrast to all the other parts of the site.

The top is a little bland though.. it looks good otherwise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful form and color scheme. I think this is the nicest looking online sudoku game I've ever seen. I'm not a player, or anything, so that might not mean much , but I've seen a couple boards (strictly HTML) that really turned me off. This is very nicely scripted. I especially like the scratch pad feature.

I think, as you said, the header/logo needs some work. A nice sudoku related graphic such as a simple game board or the Japanese characters for the name might be all you need.

The blue used for highlighting throws me off a little. A dark orange might look better and could be used elsewhere in the site to infuse more color. I'd play with that a little.

Also I noticed that, in Firefox and not IE, the entire page content jumps a teeny bit to the right on the "how to play" page.

Just wondering, have you considered using php includes instead of an iframe?

Nice job, overall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    I am a sudoku player and I think its fantastic. The scratch pad above each number is perfect. The logo and grey bar are a little boring, but I think when in the depths of solving a diabolical puzzel, you don't want a lot of noise around you.
    If any critism the solve button could be a little less accessible or perhaps an double opt, so that in a moment total frustration you don't give up and hit the solve option. What about a message, saying "are you certain your want to GIVE UP now"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thx you all for the kind words, reviews and ideas. I will be making changes in the next few days to implement all your ideas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    background not good(playground) I would prefer plain

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the game, although it takes too long

I really like the site layout, do agree that the logo could use a touch more - I like the suggestions above of either a small soduku board in the background or the japanese character.

The scratchpad area is hard to see - maybe have it just a little darker to differentiate?

I don't know if this is possible, but when doing a puzzle I sometimes end up with more than 4 numbers in my scratch area. Don't know if the area will accomodate more or not though.

You may experiment with different colors for the board, or offer multiple color sets that the user can change.

The layout is really nice though, and well done overall.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea, and good job. Interesting to see how you did all of that!
    Good job, looks great.
    Good luck marketing it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my question is a business one. how is it different from competitors?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great website I believe. A very clean, simple and modern look with a great color contrast. Everything seems right in its place, and it loads pretty fast. Apart from maybe doing something with the logo, I would change nothing about this site.

Great design, colors, and look and feel. Best of luck with it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm SEO
    my question is a business one. how is it different from competitors?
    It is aimed for people who have found puzzles in the newspaper / magazines etc and are having trouble solving them. It is there to assist the user in solving it not necesscarily solve it for them.

So there are extra options that most sudoku site puzzle boards dont have: like the ability to highlight rows, enter in working numbers and have a hint button (one more number).

Hope this answers your question.

Thank you everyone for the kind comments. We are really keen on making it as good as possible, so all the comments (good or bad) help us alot.

Thx.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the design.