User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know we dont discuss pricing

Hello all.

I know we dont discuss pricing but, I was wondering what the best plan of action was in billing a web client for monthly services such as email newsletters, website copy(articles), etc with out scarying them off. With most clients not being familiar with the internet, they shy away from the opportunity of having a great site when they hear a quote for a website and then another for monthly services for maintaining that website. Can you guys share your experience with this?

Thanks!

SitePoint Mentor bronze trophy

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all about how you 'prepare' the client before you talk money. Your job should be to help underline the true value of the web site to the client, usually through sales meetings. This would usually involve going through their goals and objectives for the site, find out why they 'need' the site, what problems it may need to solve, how much money they require to make from it etc.

If a prospect cannot accept the prices you are talking, it's quite likely that they either do not put that much value in their web site, or you have not done such a great job of helping them discover the true value.

In the end though, some clients are just cheap and there's nothing you can do change their way of thinking, which is not a problem; I don't like manipulative sales techniques, so if a prospect believes I'm too expensive for them, I probably am, so I thank them for their time and move on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Highlight your experience

With all of the prep you do, don't forget to highlight to the client your skills and experience. You don't want to go overboard on it, but a few references to similar projects you did for other clients can add to your credibility, and the credibility of your pricing.

mp/m