User Tag List

Thread: Redirect script

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bigalreturns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Redirect script

I have some pages with urls like link.php?linkid=4 for example. This is a framed page that has the top frame url topframe.php?linkid=4 , and the bottom page fetched from elsewhere.
    The problem I have is that at the moment (slowly getting better) Google has mainly indexed the topframe.php urls, not the link.php ones, so anyone clicking on the result just gets the top frame, which is useless on its own.
    Does anyone know of, or could help me write (given I'm useless at javascript) a script that I could place in topframe.phpid=x, which would redirect to link.php?id=x if it is not opened as part of a frameset?
    Thanks for your time,

Alex
    "The proper function of man is to live - not to exist."
    Get a Free TomTom

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy C. Ankerstjerne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google doesn't read Javascript, so that wouldn't help you. Rather avoid using frames.
    Christian Ankerstjerne
    <p<strong<abbr/HTML/ 4 teh win</>
    <>In Soviet Russia, website codes you!

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bigalreturns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its not for the benefit of Google I want to do it, its so that when a user clicks the link in search results and gets to the frame, they dont see a useless page, but are redirected to the frameset as a whole.
    With regards to using frames, I know the disadvantages, but its not that I use it for the whole site. It has an external page in one frame, with a rating system in the top frame for users to rate the content of the other frame. I'm looking into ways of fetching the site with php and appending the rating part to the top of it, but to be honest this has associated disadvantages as well.

Alex
    "The proper function of man is to live - not to exist."
    Get a Free TomTom