SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

css in print the text breaks the box

im running a page that will be printed, the content of which could be anything.

the generated page will consist of a few div's which are nested inside an outer Div called box and a content div

the box div

HTML Code:
     #box 
     {
     	margin: auto;
     	padding: 0;
     	text-align: center;
     	width: 1000px;
     	border : solid 1px #000000;
     	background: #FFFFFF;
     }
    This Div is around the entire site

there is then a header div, and a content div

the content div is open and inside that div will be the sites main content

HTML Code:
     #content 
     {
     	margin: auto;
     	padding: 6px;
     	text-align: left;
     	width: 980px;
     	font: 9pt verdana, arial;
     	color: #000;
     	background: #FFFFFF;	
     }
    now most of the site looks fine but i have 2 problems relating to the same issue

my first problem is a page which generates a lot of content, that will eventually get printed

im using Div's to seperate out the content as different parts of the page need seperation. so i have a details div.

HTML Code:
     #details
     {
     	border : solid 1px #000000;
     	margin-bottom: 10px;
     	background-color: #ffe;
     	text-align: left;	
     }

now this div is giving me my 2 problems

firstly, sometimes when the generated content contains a table, the table breaks the border of the div even though the table itself may not be too wide, and the height of the div should just expand like it does if text was entered.

Also when i print, it looks ok but some of the words go outside the div, its mostly only 1 word which breaks over the border, but it looks crap for a printed report even if it is legible.

is there any way to force this overflow content to stay within the div without generating scroll bars, and for print, without making it disapear?

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    firstly, sometimes when the generated content contains a table, the table breaks the border of the div even though the table itself may not be too wide, and the height of the div should just expand like it does if text was entered.

You will need to provide a working example of exactly what ou describe and then somebody will try to help (full html and css). There is notenough information in your post to make any judgement about what this may be because any number of factors could come into play here .

It could be that you are not clearing floats or it could be that your table is simply too big to fit and breaks the parent div. The only way we could give an answer is if you provide the full details and preferably display a working version that exhibits the exact problem. It doesn't matter if your site is dynamic as you can simply copy the code from your dynamic site in the situation that causes the problem (view source) and adjust the code to be a stand-alone version.

In essence that is what you are asking us to do without providing the means to do it .

Print stylesheets are limited in their abilities of dictating page size because this is ultimately handled by the browsers and printers controls. I usually set widths to auto in the print stylesheet so that the text will wrap as required. You can't really get the same look on print as you can on screen as you don't have the ultimate control over the medium.