SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not Receiving Email On Network

I've recently networked two machines in my home in order to share cable modem internet access (using the WinGate proxy server). I use M/S Outlook Express on both machines.

I'm able to send and receive email from the server machine, but I can only send email from the client machine. I've been through the TCP/IP and Outlook Express configuration settings numerous times, but something's still wrong.

Anybody have some advice for me?

Making a better wheel silver trophy DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what kind of error do you get when you try to check your mail on that client? i'm not familiar w/ WinGate, but do you have to tell it what ports to let through? or does it have some setting to allow POP3 (port 110)?
    - Matt ** Ignore old signature for now... **
    Dr.BB - Highly optimized to be 2-3x faster than the "Big 3."
    "Do not enclose numeric values in quotes -- that is very non-standard and will only work on MySQL." - MattR

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The error message I'm receiving is as follows:

"Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. ..."

WinGate allows POP3.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used to use Wingate when we had a 56.6 dial up account. When we moved over to ADSL we found Wingate to be a right pain to try to setup. We use outlook express on all the machines but we did not use the proxy server. I think you will find the problem to be in the TCP/IP settings, although we did not use the poxy sorry proxy server. it has nothing to do with pop boxes
    On the server you need to right click on the network neighbohood icon select properties and select the TCP/IP properties on the NIC in the machine.Make sure the IP address is something like 193.169.0.1 with the subnet 255.255.255.0.

Then in the client machine go to the same and set similar to this 193.169.0.3 subnet 255.255.255.0 Then select gateway tab and add IP address of server i.e 193.169.0.1
    you will need to reboot the machines.
    You must do this before you install Wingate

Please be aware that wingate has conflicts with linksys and 3com network cards

Alternatively we finally gave up with wingate and got a product from www.sygate.com . It works a treat.

See how you go and let me know.

Regards
    PsiFox
    The Eagle may soar majestically in the sky, but you never see a weasel get sucked into a jet engine.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestion, PsiFox.

I'm going to try the Sygate Home Network product and see if that solves my problem. I've tried everything the WinGate support staff have suggested, but it's still not working.

Your comment about WinGate conflicts with LinkSys network cards might be the key here, because that's what I'm using.

Thanks again.