SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: ie bookmarks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ie bookmarks

i was editing a bookmark file and noticed a bunch of extra stuff in there aside from the url:

[DOC_iframe_ad]
    BASEURL=http://ads.web.aol.com/html/93021341/aol?&target=_top&height=60&width=468
    ORIGURL=http://ads.web.aol.com/html/93021341/aol?&target=_top&height=60&width=468

does anyone know how this information is used?

some of my bookmarks contained several instances of those extra chunks of info.
    "There's no justice like angry mob justice!" --Seymour Skinner

Making a better wheel silver trophy DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, i've noticed that too. it seems to be keeping track of content that was in a <frame> or <iframe>. in your example it's just some ads, but it could be useful content.

i'd say this is why it's done: say you're at site.com. you click on something that loads different content in a frame or iframe, but the address bar still says just "site.com." now, if you want to add the site, including the changed content in the frame(s), to your favorites, and it just added "site.com," what would you see in the frame(s) when you came back to the site from the favorite? the default content of those frames. you'd be like WTH?! this isn't what i added to my faves! but, the way IE does it like that, it "remembers" what URL was in each frame.

i don't know how clear that was, but i hope it helps.
    - Matt ** Ignore old signature for now... **
    Dr.BB - Highly optimized to be 2-3x faster than the "Big 3."
    "Do not enclose numeric values in quotes -- that is very non-standard and will only work on MySQL." - MattR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are also unscrupulous webmasters that have a script that automatically add their site to your favourites

Pays to check that occasionally. Luckily I don't use IE so much so I don't get a lot of that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is that done, anyway? I would like to know, because where there's an attack, there's a counter-measure for defense, and I'd love to be the one to stop "dark-side" webmasters from doing such a thing.
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)