SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mac/PC compatibility issue. Panic, help :(

I have designed and built an ecommerce site in html (using tables) and passed it on to a programmer to incorporate php into the pages. Itís come back working fine on a PC, but on my Mac there are a few errors browsing it through Safari and doesnít work at all on Macís Internet Explorer. I think the problem is that programmer has put it all into layers, and as he doesnít have a mac itís difficult for him to fix/see the problem. My options are 1. to try and take the pages with the code in and put them back into table format (Iíve tried this, but having trouble with the code as Iím not a programmer) 2. Get the programmer to put it right (difficult because he doesnít have a mac and isnít aware of a problem) 3. Pay someone else to put it right (difficult again as Iíve reached my budget for this job).

Just to make matters worse, this job was supposed to go live over a week ago and my client is going a bit crazy!! Any advice or help, or offers to put it right (might have to pay out of my own pocket) will be much appreciated, I canít stress how urgent this is though, sorry!! Anyone interested email me/message me and Iíll send you the link to the test site.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many people no longer bother to support IE on Mac, including Microsoft who have dropped all support for it. I would advise that unless you have a compelling reason, don't worry about it.

If your programmer has converted the layout to use CSS it sounds as if he is a better developer than you - tell him what is wrong on Safari (which version, by the way?) and see if he can fix it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply, the big problem is my client uses internet explorer on a mac and will refuse to accept the site unless it works on this platform. Of course the programmer is a better developer than me, I'm a designer with a very limited programming knowlede, thats why I put the work out. I've always experienced a few slight differences between browsers but nothing as major as this. Any other ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you post a demo link of the problem and/or code? Blurred screenshot would suffice if you are worried about 'security', but code, even 'stripped' of what the site really is would go a long ways towards our assisting you.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Explain to your client that IE for Mac is no longer supported and that he should upgrade to a newer browser (Firefox, Mozilla, Safari, Camino). Next, don't worry so much about supporting old browsers, instead get with your developer and explain that he may be able to fix the problems better than you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalRealm
    Next, don't worry so much about supporting old browsers...
    ...For now...

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

As mentioned above Ie5 mac is practically dead but your problem was a result of you not setting the boundaries before you started on the project. The first thing you should do with the client and developer is to stipulate what browsers you want to support.

If I have to support i5mac then I charge extra for that and usually it would be 2 or three times the total cost of the project as ie5mac is so time consuming to get right.

If you still need help on this then email me the link and I will take a look but can't promise anything as I would have to start my old mac up again and its been switched off for months However I could probably give a few pointers.

Most mac bugs are documented anyway and you could get your developer to debug:
    http://www.macedition.com/cb/ie5macbugs/