User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Microsoft targeting Ruby on Rails?

Microsoft is evaluating whether to include a new tool for building ASP.Net 2.0-based Web sites in the next major version of Visual Studio, a company representative said on Tuesday.

The command-line tool, called Blinq, enables Web developers to quickly build an ASP.Net 2.0-based Web site with data from a SQL Server database, a Microsoft representative said. It is currently available as a prototype.

"Just point Blinq at a SQL database, and it will create a Web site with pages that display sorted and paged data, allow you to update or delete records, create new records, and follow relationships between tables in your database," according to a Web page authored by Polita Paulus, a developer on Microsoft's ASP.Net team. Developers using Blinq do not need to write SQL queries"
    Full Article Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say that this move is just the next logical step. I mean, I would have to say that a good 80% of any database-driven website is based on doing CRUD operations. Might as well create a simple way to auto-generate applications to do this. It's great that rails is taking the lead on this, ahead of Microsoft.
    Patrick Smith
    PHP Programmer

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logitron
    I would say that this move is just the next logical step. I mean, I would have to say that a good 80% of any database-driven website is based on doing CRUD operations. Might as well create a simple way to auto-generate applications to do this. It's great that rails is taking the lead on this, ahead of Microsoft.
    Microsoft has not taken the lead on much in a long time IMO and I don't trust them not to make their variation of rails anything less than an overly complex, resource hog, inflexible mess.