User Tag List

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    SitePoint Evangelist Scott.Botkins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijmen
    Good to hear your business is doing do well. I suppose the $3500 you made in 2 weeks made everyone shut up around you? Or are there still people around you who think you should find a "real" job?
    It's shut them up for now, I haven't heard any more "go get a real job" in the past few weeks.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shockbotkins
    It's shut them up for now, I haven't heard any more "go get a real job" in the past few weeks.
    Congratulations shockbotkins, you are on your way -- Datura
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For beginning website designers who lack the self-confidence needed to be full time freelancers, there is not one, not one problem with having a secondary non-web job while you're building your porfolio and your relationships with the clients. For example, if you work as a store clerk and like the place it's a nice financial backup and also they may offer you affordable insurance which is a big problem for many struggling designers. It will also make it harder for either of the employers to blackmail you with termination. In your free time you can design all the websites you want.

I'm currently finishing a nursing program after getting kicked out of pro web design in 2002 (from 1999 to 2002 I was a web master for a media duplication company and I also designed sites for a 3 big pharmaceutical companies) I really miss my design days. I absolutely, absolutely refuse to design websites 40 hours a week though. It will burn me out. It's kind of like the plastic scale models I glue and airbrush: I will do it with passion but there are certain times I'm not in the mood.

When I was a full time web site designer they expected me to what-spend 10 hours a day designing and writing code and oh by the way, when you fight your way through traffic and get back home at 6 o'clock you have to go back to the computer to learn advanced ActionScript for another 6 hours? Insanity!

The day I stopped looking at web design as my primary career I went from hating it to loving it again. It was an interesting transformation.

Remember that the key to happiness and mental equilibrium is balance in your schedule. If you have to work 80 hour weeks desperately trying to complete some website you're going to hate your job and I don't care how supportive and good the employer is.

By the way, the average salary of a full time website designer in my zip code is from 50K to 90K per year. If a person falls into the 50-90 salary range and others ask her/him to get a "real job" I don't know what their definition of a real job is. In the United States a majority of the workforce earns somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-30K/year and their jobs are considered to be perfectly "real".
    Last edited by Mitochondrion; Nov 2, 2006 at 17:16.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a good idea with full-time job. a friend of mine and coworker has full-time job as a postman.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miloshz
    a good idea with full-time job. a friend of mine and coworker has full-time job as a postman.
    Good government job but watch out for varicose veins. Tell your friend this nursing student Mitochondrion recommends he gets clot socks and wears them under the pants. This is the kind of elastic hose sock they make you wear after a surgery; they're knee length. Nurses and other people who spend a lot of time on their feet wear those. They decrease leg pain too.