Nintendo Wii Fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robsp
    real jobs can be better.. they provide health benefits
    in most cases i reckon the "real job" causes the health problems :P

oh, and I thought i'd mention somethin' else.
    everyone in my year (well 30-40 people at least) were lookin' at my site one day and we're actually very impressed, by the site, and by the fact that i was actually earnin $200+ a month from doing web stuff. i think everyone knows now that i'm not just bein a nerd for the fun of it, but also to turn it a business
    now every couple of weeks ppl are askin, "so how much have you made this month?" and their response is always "thats fair awesome" or "i'm going to kill you" (that is a reponse from my friend Tim who is makin less than me and he works at Hoyts :P)
    16 Year Old Web Designer
    Average Daily Income (approx):$30
    Drawing Tips | Wii Gamin' | Twilight Princess

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to hear basically the same thing from my parents, that I should go "get a real job." There wasn't much pressure with that until I graduated college. That was in the mid-late 90's. I kept hearing the same thing until one day I showed my parents a very nice sized check I received. At that point they started to believe it was a "real" job.

These days my Father believes in me and what can be accomplished more than anything. Although he has mentioned at times that I should take a full-time job and work on the business in my other time, but just so I can earn even more money. I don't think he realizes quite how much time is involved in doing business online. My Mother still says I should consider a traditional job, but mainly for reasons to do with health & retirement benefits in addition to the extra money.

In any case, opinions can certainly change a lot once you are successful at what you do. Friends often say that they wish they were in my position with all the freedom and flexibility in being able to decide many things. Oh, and with the money being great as well.. Sometimes I hear jokes that I don't work, I just sit back and let the money roll in. Well, sometimes it is that easy as the money keeps coming in even when I'm on vacation - but I certainly put in a lot of work to get to that point and keep it there.
    For HTML Help visit: HTML Help Central
    For Graphic Design help visit: GFXVoid.com
    If you're a GEEK then go where geeks go....

SitePoint Evangelist Scott.Botkins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow this thread really exploded with replies. I'm going to go read over them now, just wanted to let you guys know though I made my biggest profit of the week this past week of $3,000, I haven't heard a peep out of them when I rubbed it in there face lol.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my dad thinks i spend so much time on the computer he said to me I Dont like you spending all my time on the computer. my computer is in my bedroom btw lol so i call my bedroom my office lol but anyway i think all parents should just back off if they dont know what they are going on about

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by BenBen
    Sigh. I guess that's how the world works though. People, need to see it to believe it.

Keep the faith and don't give up, no matter what anyone says.
    THIS IS COMPLETELY CORRECT ALL AROUND.

It's like the Jerry McGuire of Coding - Show me the money - especially with Spouses and the like. That's what seems to make the difference.

Keep the faith it right!

Never Surrender - Never Give Up - Always Drive Forward!

Covenantor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same problem. Not just with my parents, but with almost everyone i know. It doesn't hurt me though, i use what they say to do even more work to prove that they are wrong, and it's been fun so far.

I remember once my mom got fed up and told me that I'm wasting so much time on the Internet. I told her that I'm learning useful things, but then she said "you're not making any money". When i made my first $xxx online, i told her that and she was like "OK, good".

I wonder why they don't put equal effort on encouragement.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my honest opinion the old generation of people are still used to workin under a 'boss' and most of them are not really 100% sure of what can be done on the net.

I started out with web development about 11 months ago, and since then I have doubled my salary 6 times...YES...6 times from what I used to earn by working for someone else.

Not only have I started to earn good money, but it's all about what I really love to do. I discovered my true love (computers, internet, programming) and I have started to build a brighter future for myself.

So...
    Doing work on the net...setting up a few sites to make revenue from and doing all sorts of related things are the way to go. This is the future, and you are heading in the right direction. You are young...so work hard now, and in a few years time, you might just be able to sit back and see the money flow in.

Nintendo Wii Fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also, my parents were skeptical that Google was really going to pay me, i guess they didn't understand at the time how it all worked, they generally get it now though
    (especially after I got a check for $150, then $254 etc)
    16 Year Old Web Designer
    Average Daily Income (approx):$30
    Drawing Tips | Wii Gamin' | Twilight Princess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, there is something to be said about having a "real job" getting started. You really need some money to invest to get launched. I guess it really depends on the caliber of site you are going for but now days I find myself spending $5k+ to get my (bigger) new sites launched (and I do all the coding myself).
    Ohai!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didnt get a chance to read all the posts in this thread, but what I have read is excelent.

My situation, layed off and looking at a pretty serious back surgery, so I dont get hassled much now, but there was a time where I did hear similar comments allot. "You need to quit playing with that computer" and so on.

In the time that I have been layed off and recieved news from the doctors that I may never be able to return to what I use to do, I have built a few websites and whent from making $x.xx a month to $xx.xx a month to $xxx.xx a month. This has only been the past 5 to 6 months. Now my wife sees that I am not wasting my time and the more bad news I get and the more time I spend on my computer the more money I make. God willing I will be making a livable income from my interests within the next one to two years. I also thank god I have such an understanding girl.

I think if you work hard enough sooner or later things will start paying off and the people that have doubted you will begin to see that you are not wasting your time.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I started doing web stuff almost 12 months ago, I got the same thing from everyone around me. The problem was because I'm a civil engineer and people thought I should've made better use of my college degree.

I had zero HTML, SEO, Adsense, etc. knowledge and build websites with an obscure GUI-based web editor ...but... I've been passionate about IT for as long as I can remember.

In my first month, I made $10. Today, I'm making $2,500 a month - $1,000 from my websites and $1,500 from contracts. In my country, that's a senior manager's salary, and I probably only work half the hours they put-in.

People around me have learned to shut-up.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All same story, my parents thought too when i started business 9 yrs back, But now they are happy and convinced, as they know the banks are getting full now :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it used to make me feel like crap. now i dont care what anyone says because i have no respect for what they do. EXAMPLE: serving tables isnt a great skill in my opinion. My parents never said that to me I would have slapped them, but when people say get a real job they dont know what is real. Thats my OPINION.

SitePoint Enthusiast willsmith727's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Grandpa is like this. What annoys me is that he doesn't understand and there for he takes the 'if i don't understand it, its not worth knowing about' attitude.

Proove them wrong.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no doubt operating online is an adventure. this is what i used to do from my dump of a flat i lived in years ago to make my venture sound bigger:

i always reffered to my website operation as 'we' not 'i' especially when on the phone

i made up different emails addresses that i would send and receive as - i.e bob@mysite.com, samamntha@mysite.com - then i would mention in those same emails 'oh i will have to talk to the boss, its a good deal but it's not my decision, if you could do a little better you'd make my life a lot easier...' this was great if i was being chased for money or was haggling for a discount.

i also had marketing@mysite.com, billing@mysite.com and support@mysite.com - 'yeah email them and they will get it sorted'

'we have devloped techincal partnerships with several companies from around the world' this actually meant i was buying a domian name or a $5 script from a company somewhere else.

i had a virtual business with virtual staff. it worked a treat.

the good ol days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How Do You Feel When Someone Says "Go Get a Real Job"
    I laugh at them. (like "HAHAHA!") and because I'm laughing hysterically, they cannot help but to laugh a little and when they do - I stop abruptly and say "your mother." just before I slap them in the face with a wad of cash.

Nahh, seriously though. I've never had this issue. I've always thought of my career in web solutions, whether it be working full time of freelancing, to be better than any other job. Save for the corporate positions of course. I'd love to sit on my *** as a figure head and get paid for it.

But I can relate to what you're going through and just thinking about it now, I put it down to ignorance. Maybe your parents do not know the potential of your chosen career path, because they are:

a) stubborn.
    b) not interested.
    c) have a friend who has a son/daughter who is working at a swanky office and your parents see this as their idea of success.

You gotta remember, back in their day, success meant wearing a tie and suit. Which is bullsh*t. I know some people who are in our line of work who earn more than most of the suits I know.

Don't listen to the noise, listen to your accelerating footsteps as you leave the naysayers in your dust.

Regards,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    playing on the computer
    I can completely relate. In my case, it's my parents who say it. More specifically, it's my father who drives me nuts making jokes about computer obsession or whatever. I can't wait to move out.
    ProxyTor - Submit your Proxy Site for free, fast.
    Parxy.com - Find a New Hobby!

SEO Link Building Master I, Brian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dad spent years telling me to get a "proper job".

He wouldn't say that now.

TIP: Don't talk about work in detail when in social situations - unless surrounded by other people in business of IT.
    Internet Business Forums - free business help & advice

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a great thread. I'm inspired to keep working on my sites. I've only just started making very small amounts of money and would love to be able to make a living from working online.

Most of the people I've told about my sites and what I hope to achieve with them think I'm dreaming and use the old 'get a real job' line. Its a shame they think like that but it just makes me work harder.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy linkin99's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by BenBen
    I know how you feel, even though it was my wife and not my parents that would complain that I spent too much time "playing on the computer". It used to drive me nuts. And, it's not easy to explain computers or the Internet, or even basic success principles to somebody that doesn't even want to have a clue.
    "Playing on the computer" This phrase drives me crazy when other (I'll call ignorant) people refer my work to.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been practicing, (and now making money from), web design for eight years. I am a senior in college, so I'm at a bit of a crossroads...I still have the luxury of not having to DEPEND on web design to pay any bills yet, (although I still do freelance to pay for books and other school-related expenses). So I understand your situation, Scott. However, being only a year away from the "real world," I understand what some of the others are saying, too.

I am not here to pick sides, as I've made a legacy of "rebelling" against my military-father through the years. Although he is surprisingly understanding--he's actually BOUGHT me computers through the years to support my aspirations--he does still warn me that making money from it can be hard, and has encouraged that I look into other career options to do along with the web design. Personally, this is what drives ME up the wall...saying that I should consider another career altogether, after I've spent so much time in school and of my free time building up a portfolio. So I get you there, Scott...hearing others' negative options about something you love so much can be frustrating.

HOWEVER, being that I have the perspective of someone who will be expected to support herself totally independently soon, I would not hesitate for a second to advise you to get more schooling, and work for a company before you branch out on your own. Without school, especially, it is likely that your chances of even getting a job at a company, (and working for yourself is even harder, since ALL responsibility falls on you), will be bleak. In this industry, skills are supposed to speak louder than a piece of paper--which, in the end, they do--but someone with a Bachelor's will almost always win over a high school graduate. It's just a fact that in almost ANY industry, a diploma just doesn't cut it anymore. Someone who's been in college has more experience and has had more education--not just in their own field, but usually students explore other fields as well, such as business--and that translates into more potential for a company, which means that they'll get more of an income and profit ($$$) from you, the more that you can do for them. (Which means more $$$ for you, too!) And yes, I WOULD suggest that you work for a company first. With or without the proper education, it's best to learn about business from a company that's already done the learning...you can observe how they operate, and THEN use this new knowledge to branch off on your own, when the time is right. It would be much harder to learn the business aspects by yourself--while working by yourself--so in the end, it would pay off to wait and really have a chance at making a serious living, instead of trying to branch off right away, failing (which, I'm sorry, but most small businesses do), and then having to go work for a company, anyway, so that you'll be able to live. And if you don't have the education, the company may not even be in web design, but something else entirely different. And it seems like web design is your goal....you just need to work hard to get there. Nothing comes overnight.

My advice on what you should do, right now: Get in school. That's the first step. Not only will it give you the education and experience that you need, but career opportunities can come from it, as well, either via placement services that the college provides, or via networking. Networking from my campus is how I've managed to stay employed the whole summer, without working at Taco Bell!
    Terri Eades - Web/Graphic Designer - www.terrieades.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it times like this i wish there was encrypted members only forum so we could loosen up about our projects etc.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unit7285
    I doubt if it's just you and your parents, Scott. I think many parents might think the same way, but not for the reasons you imagine. Is it possible you're personalising the situation a bit and not seeing the bigger picture? From what you've said in earlier posts I seem to remember you've pretty much decided not to continue your education past high school level and get some 'proper' further education qualifications, and the only business experience you have so far is basically schoolboy stuff.

I'm being devil's advocate here, so don't jump up and down. To an outsider, and possibly to your parents, you're a very young guy with obvious ambition and enthusiasm but unexceptional qualifications, trying to run your own micro-business straight out of high school without any training. This means you have no genuine business experience, no genuine co-workers, no fixed schedule, no fixed responsibilities, no reliable income stream. And all the statistics show that small businesses are more likely to fail than to succeed.

Perhaps your parents think (although they're not communicating it very well) that a regular full-time job, in the sense of working for a monthly salary as one of a team in a well-established business, would be a better start in life than chancing it on your own. The advantages they might see in a regular job could include: a regular income you can depend on; learning how to work as part of a team; learning how a proper, professional, established business works; learning discipline; learning how to manage staff; meeting deadlines set by others; dealing with people; attending training courses; sometimes having to do things you don't want to do; being put on the spot occasionally and having to succeed; getting out of the house more and expanding your social circle; and so on. None of these things - and I mean none - are best learned by simply jumping in the deep end by yourself.

Seen from this point of view, your parents may have a point. It could be that they're worried you're not taking the most effective path towards achieving your dreams of profitable and satisfying self employment. They may be genuinely worried about your future. You can learn a lot by working for a successful business even for a short while. Think of it as accelerated training and experience. You can also build up a decent credit record and be able to get loans, mortgages or rent apartments with far less difficulty as a salaried employee. When you've learnt some stuff about real business and saved a bit of money there's nothing to stop you leaving and starting your own business, and with a far greater chance of success because you'll know a lot more about how things really work. And even if you have a full time job there's nothing to stop you running your own business part time.

There. That's a possible alternative interpretation of your parents' apparent lack of faith in you. They might not be as heartless or disinterested as you imagine. And it may have nothing to do with their lack of knowledge about the internet - you could be setting up as a graphic artist or a landscape gardener and the same arguments would apply. Or maybe they are heartless and disinterested - but I certainly hope not. Perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle? That's for you to know, of course. All I'm really saying is that the reasons people think or behave in certain ways aren't always as obvious as they first appear. You sometimes have to dig a little.

Paul
    Paul, incredible post. I just wanted to let you know that I copy and pasted the entire thing and saved it as a word document to my desktop so I can refer back to it in the future. I'm currently a freelance web and graphic designer and have been for almost 5 years, and I also run a small web hosting company work for UPS and go to school. I just thought everything you had to say seemed reasonable, objective, and insightful and thought I'd let you know. Anyway, my family and girlfriend all support me in my online business ventures and express their pride and support for me pretty regularly. The information you shared can certainly be absorbed and appreciated by anyone trying to build a business and I thought I'd let you know that I completely understand and agree with what you've said and think having it around as a reminder will benefit me in the future.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shockbotkins
    Wow this thread really exploded with replies. I'm going to go read over them now, just wanted to let you guys know though I made my biggest profit of the week this past week of $3,000, I haven't heard a peep out of them when I rubbed it in there face lol.
    Why rub it in their faces? You know, my girlfriend of 3 years has a family that at times isn't very supportive. She's time and time again made achievements that are paramount to becoming a successful marketing major and done many things throughout her academic career that have impressed a lot of people and gained her a lot of recognition but has never once rubbed it in her families face. She just continues to do her best at everything she commits to and continues to impress and amaze everyone around her. Eventually, her family will come around and give her the recognition she deserves, just like your's will, but I really don't see the benefit to rubbing anything into anyone's face.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've went through the same problems with family saying "get a job" blah blah... but like Ben Ben said -- show and prove and it always shuts people up.

Good luck man and congrats on the $3k!