User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone,

There is a difference between netscape and IE when a page with tables is loaded.

IE shows the page text while it goes and gets the images. (and if you haven't set the image size attributes, the page changes as it starts to load an image ).

Netscape will not show a page until its downloaded the entire page content. On a site like mine with lots of images on certain pages (yes, they are neccessary) this will often persuade a user to give up.

1) Are you all aware of this
    2) I'm going to create a javascript pop up to tell netscape users as they enter the site (so hopefully they stay a little longer). Id like to tell them how to fix it too.

Does anyone know of a setting in Netscape that can be changed so that the page shows as it loads?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
    Steve Root http://www.rootskitchens.co.uk/

[This message has been edited by steveroot (edited March 14, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't answer your question specifically, but I would say that you should design for the broadest range of users. This includes Netscape and those with a 28.8 modem.
    You may want to rethink your site design as to get your page sizes smaller, 50K max.

IMHO,
    Westmich

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your right Netscape won't load the page until the table is fully loaded. This is because Netscape cannot change the layout of a page once rendered. You should try breaking up your tables a little to allow the page to load in increments. This will allow the user to start browsing or reading while waiting for the content to finish loading.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    Internet Media Provider

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wayne, Thanks for the tip about breaking the table into seperate parts. I'm not quite sure how i'll do this though as the table is used to format the whole page. Left hand column has an index and the right hand side has the content.

Westmich, I agree with the 50K principle. Our pages are as small as possible to be useful. Most pages are are less than 10K, and the graphics which appear on every page are only about 10K's worth. The big problem pages are the ones with all the kitchen and bedroom pictures and the worktop samples. Most feedback we receive from users says that they prefer waiting for a single page of reasonably visable images than a page of thumbnails that are too hard to see clearly. Clicking and waiting for the enlargement is just as bad. That said, they are probably all IE users as my stats are showing an ever decreasing number of Netscape users . This problem may be why though. I also know what its like to wait for the page - I'm out in the country according to British Telecom - too few phone lines means our modem line will only run at 28KB Still, roll on the cable company...