User Tag List

Thread: Opera 6

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opera 6

Using at the mo - seems pretty sweet so far. Anyone given it a really thorough road test yet?
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The final version was released today. They finally got rid of that wacky status bar bug I had in the beta version.

wooohooo, everything looks good, so i think I can finally ditch IE, and not have to worry about all those darn security patches...muhahahhahaha
    --There's my 1.5 cents, now where is my change!?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...so i think I can finally ditch IE, and not have to worry about all those darn security patches...muhahahhahaha
    I take it you haven't heard about Opera's first major security vulnerability in five years then

Javascript exploit: In all v5.x releases one site can read the cookies of another site in Opera. Which means your password info and any other sensitive data which may be contained in cookies is now compromised in Opera.

It isn't clear whether this has been patched in v6 or not. Although not posted on the Opera site, they have confirmed this to be a problem in their forums and other channels.

Their suggested fix? Turn off Javascript (and then close browser, never to be used again).
    Mestiphal
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Why do they call it common sense? It doesn't seem common at all to me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Mestiphal

I take it you haven't heard about Opera's first major security vulnerability in five years then

Javascript exploit: In all v5.x releases one site can read the cookies of another site in Opera. Which means your password info and any other sensitive data which may be contained in cookies is now compromised in Opera.

It isn't clear whether this has been patched in v6 or not. Although not posted on the Opera site, they have confirmed this to be a problem in their forums and other channels.

Their suggested fix? Turn off Javascript (and then close browser, never to be used again).
    I read on internet.com or cnet don't remember which that they have fixed the bug.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Mestiphal

LOL yeah, first security bug in 5 YEARS. (Yes, it was fixed in version 6) I am CONSTANTLY downloading security fixes for IE. (If you aren't, then your vernerable)

There is not comparison in security between Opera and IE. none at all.
    --There's my 1.5 cents, now where is my change!?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure anyone took Opera seriously until 5.0 came out -- I know I didn't. And that bug has existed since 4.0...so that would make it what -- almost 2 years old? Without fixing it?

Anyway, Opera and all IE alternatives are not without their failings as well...
    Mestiphal
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Why do they call it common sense? It doesn't seem common at all to me