SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Pragmatic Programmer halfasleeps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my employer wants to pimp me

i work full time as a web developer for a jewelry company and i also work on the side doing side jobs, based by the hour i make over double on my side jobs i just dont get as much work.

now my boss says if i have downtime he wants to find other companies around here that need sites done and i make the sites for the other companies for him at my normal wage while he makes a profit. hes in the jewelry business trying to make a profit in the web business by pimping me out!!! is this not wrong??

ill make way less money than if i did those jobs myself on the side and then i wont get the business because im doing it for him.

what should i do?
    Altoona Design
    Freelance Flex developer for hire.
    ActionScript Programmer with 8 Years Experience.

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfasleeps
    i work full time as a web developer for a jewelry company and i also work on the side doing side jobs, based by the hour i make over double on my side jobs i just dont get as much work.

now my boss says if i have downtime he wants to find other companies around here that need sites done and i make the sites for the other companies for him at my normal wage while he makes a profit. hes in the jewelry business trying to make a profit in the web business by pimping me out!!! is this not wrong??

ill make way less money than if i did those jobs myself on the side and then i wont get the business because im doing it for him.

what should i do?
    this would be better in the "business and legal issues" forum than in GC

SitePoint Mentor bronze trophy

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you say downtime, do you mean spare time during your normal working hours, i.e. time your boss is paying you for?

Is your boss finding the clients and asking you to do the development work, or does he expect you to find the clients in the first place?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowbox
    When you say downtime, do you mean spare time during your normal working hours, i.e. time your boss is paying you for?
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by shadowbox
    Is your boss finding the clients and asking you to do the development work, or does he expect you to find the clients in the first place?
    actually he wants me to call one of the ad agencies he uses and ask them if they know anyone who needs a site made. so i guess me find them sorta
    Altoona Design

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is he expecting you to turn over your spare time clients to him or find new clients? That would be shady, since you're not hired as a sales/marketing person. Getting work should be the headache of your boss.

If not there's nothing wrong with your boss making a profit. All businesses depends on it.

As an employee your boss controls your work time, within some limits of course. If you're uncomfortable working for external clients, you could perhaps claim that you're not comfortable with it and that it is against your work description (if it is). However it's probably not true since you're already have clients in your spare time.

Also you could perhaps claim that consulting positions usually have higher salary than pure inhouse positions.

Other than that I don't see a dilemma with your boss making a profit. He provides you with a safe job, a lot less responsibility and worries than being freelance and also other benefits. In return he expects the right to make a profit, if it's possible for him. Wether your boss is in the jewelery business or web business is kind of his problem, not yours.

Talk with him if you're not comfortable with the arrangement. Also negotiate a higher salary for the consulting position.

That you could make more freelance is not relevant in this setting. Because if being freelance is more attractive for you, you should quit your job and go freelance. Being freelance has many other aspects to consider than just the pay, that may or may not be higher.
    George Skee
    Follow me at GeorgeSkee.com

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great opportunity. Make it clear to your boss that you make MORE money doing www work than working in your ordinary role. Also, make it clear to him that you know that if is going to bring you www work he shoud be rewarded for bringing that work in. Therefore, you should BOTH make extra money for this - him for bringing in www work, and you for having the skill to execute it.

Perhaps you could agree on a profit share, bonus, or increased hourly rate for the web work. Sounds like a GREAT starting point for a successful negotiation! Always find the shared/mutual benefit and work from there. He probably just wants to make more money on you, so why not accomodate him if you can make extra money yourself!
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. — Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagewing
    Sounds like a great opportunity. Make it clear to your boss that you make MORE money doing www work than working in your ordinary role. Also, make it clear to him that you know that if is going to bring you www work he shoud be rewarded for bringing that work in. Therefore, you should BOTH make extra money for this - him for bringing in www work, and you for having the skill to execute it.

Perhaps you could agree on a profit share, bonus, or increased hourly rate for the web work. Sounds like a GREAT starting point for a successful negotiation! Always find the shared/mutual benefit and work from there. He probably just wants to make more money on you, so why not accomodate him if you can make extra money yourself!

thats sounds like a great idea thanks, it would also be building my portfolio too.
    Altoona Design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I'd like to point out that using time that you are supposed to be working for your employer to work for other clients could get you in some trouble and could even get you terminated, depending on any contracts you may signed when you began as an employee there. I'd be careful about working for my own clients on company time, as that could not only jeopardize your job but it could also put your clients in a difficult situation should your employer make an issue of it.

Other than that, Sagewing's advice is right on. Profit sharing is a very nice thing and you should have any agreement you come to with your boss IN WRITING!!! It doesn't mean a thing otherwise.