SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Price Listing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Price Listing

On one hand, it's nice not to tip off competition when listing prices and customizing the price for each customer.

Another line of thinking points to the customer, and how they want to know beforehand how much the service is, so they can make a comparative/informed decision.

What is the opinion here regarding listing prices on one's website for the services you offer?

Thanks

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's to stop your competitor from e-mailing you and asking you your prices?

If you're competing on price alone you've already lost the battle anyway.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't offer packages, mostly bespoke stuff, but I originally started out listing guide prices (e.g. 'Ecommerce sites cost from around X,XXX). Then I got too many people fixating on the guide price and getting all upset if I quoted them something higher, like an 'ecommerce site' can only cost one price, LOL.

So then I stopped putting any prices on the site - the downside is that some people assume you are too expensive, some people don't trust you and think you'll charge whatever you want, and of course you can get inundated with people with 99 budgets for a 5000 web site.

So at the moment, I'm looking at re-introducing some form of price guide on the site, mainly because it helps disqualify a lot of time wasters and dreamers with no effort on my part. But this will be introduced with many other wholesale changes to the site, and a move towards more packaged/bespoke hybrid solutions.

BTW: I like the way 37signals get straight to the point on their site:

http://37signals.com/design#chart

What I wouldn't worry about are your competitors finding out your prices. I regularly play 'mystery shopper' on my competition, and no doubt they do the same to me, so having your prices on your site will at least save you the time wasted responding to fake quote requests from your competition.

But as tke71709 says, competiting on price is a tricky game to play - someone is always cheaper than you, especially these days with cheap labour in Eastern Europe and India. So it's usually better to pick another area to focus on - e.g. locality, convienience, confidence, niche expertise, good after-care, money-back guarantees, friendliness, jargon-free, etc.

Also, don't let your customers even directly compare you to the competition, especially if you do the package thing - never offer an identical package, always structure things differently. For example, if your competitor offers 3 concepts and 4 revisions for 1000, you offer 2 concepts, 5 revisions and a money back guarantee for 1100 - there's no direct comparison here at all, so hopefully your prospect will have to focus on something other than price in order to make their buying decision.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I sometimes do is point at websites I made and say www.this.com would cost X, and www.that.com costs about Y ....

But, to be fair, I do NOT point at real customers' websites, as they might not appreciate their costs beng displayed around. I rather point at websites I made on purpose, pr sites I have a participation into, or sites that are left-overs from other projects etc.

The important thing is to give the customer a rough idea of your costs, and then educate them explaining how you get to the price you give them: "your site costs more becaus you also need <feature> that gives you <benefits>"