SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Scope of work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scope of work

Does any one have a scope of work template or a recommendation for one?

This will be my first time writing one and just need something to go from.

Thanks,

Dan

.* draziW tnioPetiS *. bronze trophy
    "Then I figure the most good good guy will win."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, you could try:

Amazon.com: Business and Legal Forms for Graphic Designers (3rd Edition): Books: Tad Crawford,Eva Doman Bruck by Tad Crawford,Eva Doman Bruck
    http://snipurl.com/u1lm

Or maybe:

Amazon.com: The Business Side of Creativity: The Complete Guide for Running a Graphic Design or Communications Business: Books: Cameron S. Foote,Mark Bellerose by Cameron S. Foote,Mark Bellerose
    http://snipurl.com/u1lq

The first book has this to say (scope of work for proposals):

"Under the heading of "scope of work" list the phases of the project's development, such as competitive research, sketches, design development, layouts, mechnical production, and printing supervision. If the prospective client is not familiar with the design process, it is helpful to list phase by phase what the designer will do and at what points the client will be presented with material"

Then the book has a couple proposal forms (scope of work is a box in the middle of page with the heading of "scope of work" on one.) Overall I reccomend this book... it comes with all the forms on CD in different formats.

Not too certain if the second book covers "scope of work", but worth a gander... you got a borders in your town?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have a Border's and will swing by and peek through the book.

Thanks for the reply,

Dan

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could try googling "scope of work" or look at this
    http://www.myworktools.com/tp_cache/t5/tool_598.html

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure exactly what you need to be honest, but I reckon if you click on the link to WebDevDocs in my signature you may find something useful in there - please let me know if you do.

Good luck

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Try the templates at webwildcatting.com. Don't buy the expensive ones from places like ittoolworks. These have everything you need and cost less than $10!

Saves you time and money hunting down the 'free' one who spam you for life after you download them.

peace

dbvanhorn

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, just write an outline.... start with the home page index, and drill down each page. tab or delineate each important piece and its details. i just wrote one from scratch took me a few hours... not too hard. a template is going to get you off track and make you think too much, write it out as what you want to see

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the start of the thread asked how, and where-- templates have their place. They tend to help you not leave anything out that some times gets missed in the 'heat' of writing it, and they are a great at curing specification procrastination that occurs when you don't want to deal with the 'hard' stuff.

A template many times is more professional looking than your own hodge podge of ideas, and things like formatting a Table of Contents are practically already done. This may be easy for some, but a challenge for others.

Finally we patently disagree that writing and formatting your own is faster. Templates save time, and money, its a fact. If you have all the time in the world, like laptop 13 seems to have, go for it, but if you don't, and you believe in a sharp looking, professionally written output, we suggest picking up a template.

There are many good sites offering them, however we've found many are way over priced and have seen packages near $100.00 which frankly is over kill at that point. You end up spending hours learning an entirely new software package and the related support issues, instead of just picking up a nice template and adding a few of your own touches to it. On this, we probably clink glasses of beer with laptop 13 that you can over pay.

Remember, if you take your billable rate and add it to the time it takes to find a workable 'free' solution, or build your own, you are still not being productive. That is in fact, how much your 'free' or 'home built' scope cost you, since you burned time you could be using to really bill for.

We see so many 'web' types fall into this 'trap' where they believe if they search long enough they'll find it for 'free'. Nothing is free folks. Be expedient.

Better to quickly buy a $10.00 template, have it done in an hour and be making a call to discuss it than wasting a weekend. But that's why we make money and others don't.

peace

db
    dbvanhorn
    webwildcatter
    www.webwildcatting.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, please don't assume you know who you are talking about. I operate a big network of sites and off line business'. I have little time which is why I just write the outline. I can start and write it out until i am finished. I do not need to search for a while looking for a template that may or may not match what I need. Shift things around, rename them, etc, etc.... I just write out what I need on the spot for new development. Not hard, any person with an ounce of experience or knowledge can do it without a template.

Quote Originally Posted by dbvanhorn View Post
    Since the start of the thread asked how, and where-- templates have their place. They tend to help you not leave anything out that some times gets missed in the 'heat' of writing it, and they are a great at curing specification procrastination that occurs when you don't want to deal with the 'hard' stuff.

A template many times is more professional looking than your own hodge podge of ideas, and things like formatting a Table of Contents are practically already done. This may be easy for some, but a challenge for others.

Finally we patently disagree that writing and formatting your own is faster. Templates save time, and money, its a fact. If you have all the time in the world, like laptop 13 seems to have, go for it, but if you don't, and you believe in a sharp looking, professionally written output, we suggest picking up a template.

There are many good sites offering them, however we've found many are way over priced and have seen packages near $100.00 which frankly is over kill at that point. You end up spending hours learning an entirely new software package and the related support issues, instead of just picking up a nice template and adding a few of your own touches to it. On this, we probably clink glasses of beer with laptop 13 that you can over pay.

Remember, if you take your billable rate and add it to the time it takes to find a workable 'free' solution, or build your own, you are still not being productive. That is in fact, how much your 'free' or 'home built' scope cost you, since you burned time you could be using to really bill for.

We see so many 'web' types fall into this 'trap' where they believe if they search long enough they'll find it for 'free'. Nothing is free folks. Be expedient.

Better to quickly buy a $10.00 template, have it done in an hour and be making a call to discuss it than wasting a weekend. But that's why we make money and others don't.

peace

db

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can operate a big network, but you aren't managing your time well. You are assuming 'everyone' has your skills, but many, in fact most don't.

Your advice, pound away at it, might be good for you since you have time on your hands. To suggest that's the best way, isn't necessarily good advice for some one who doesn't know what to write or do in the first place.

Templates, good ones, force a structure. If you don't need section 5., don't use it. But the process of mentally checking it off as not needed is a good one and that's what a good scope does. It puts you through the process.

Better, when we do one, we intentionally put an N/A in a section we don't need, and if necessary we add one here and there when there's stuff that needs attention, or it outside our document.

You are assuming every one knows what you know. That's where I'm taking you to issue on, and that was the question from some one who doesn't know where to start, or is unsure. If you don't know what to write in the first place, how effective is your scope going to be? If they leave out some big areas and look like an idiot to an experienced client or boss, is your approach sound?

There would be no 'Dummies' book....if that were the case. Winging it is not a good idea for a beginner. Frankly, I stand on the fact templates allow you to work faster, and be more productive as well.

peace, inspire some one today!

db
    dbvanhorn
    webwildcatter
    www.webwildcatting.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is true, i am making the assumption that people have the same experience i do and know what to write and how to write it. You are correct there. However, leave the personal " your not managing your time well" shots off as, like i mentioned you have no idea who I am or how my time is managed. Thx for the good advice for the OP, I suppose my situation does not apply to all.

Quote Originally Posted by dbvanhorn View Post
    You can operate a big network, but you aren't managing your time well. You are assuming 'everyone' has your skills, but many, in fact most don't.

Your advice, pound away at it, might be good for you since you have time on your hands. To suggest that's the best way, isn't necessarily good advice for some one who doesn't know what to write or do in the first place.

Templates, good ones, force a structure. If you don't need section 5., don't use it. But the process of mentally checking it off as not needed is a good one and that's what a good scope does. It puts you through the process.

Better, when we do one, we intentionally put an N/A in a section we don't need, and if necessary we add one here and there when there's stuff that needs attention, or it outside our document.

You are assuming every one knows what you know. That's where I'm taking you to issue on, and that was the question from some one who doesn't know where to start, or is unsure. If you don't know what to write in the first place, how effective is your scope going to be? If they leave out some big areas and look like an idiot to an experienced client or boss, is your approach sound?

There would be no 'Dummies' book....if that were the case. Winging it is not a good idea for a beginner. Frankly, I stand on the fact templates allow you to work faster, and be more productive as well.

peace, inspire some one today!

db