SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast Bare Koncept's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just about given up...

Well, this page displays perfectly in every browser except IE6. Please, someone tell me why. It's killing me!!!

http://barekoncept.com/bbriggs/

Any hacks or something that'll get it to work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be able to create this layout without using any hacks, its pretty simple.

When creating a webpage you should check in all browsers as you are going along not create the site in FF and check in IE when finished (If that is what you have done).

The only time you really need to use a hack is for left and right - margins & padding which isn't the problem here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The xhtml and css are both completely standard, which is why they work in every browser except IE6. Like buzza_gts said, I tested the site in FF all the way through development and now am going back and testing with IE6. Also, I hate to break it to you buzza, but microsoft got a lot more wrong with IE than just the box model.

Let me be more specific here, in IE6 and probably below, the horizontal navigation (the white rounded box) gets forced down into the content, rather than displaying next to the logo. The logo is floated left, but the nav is not floated at all. It all works fine in IE7. I've tried a bunch of things, but none of them work. Please, only reply with something helpful, not to tell me what's not the problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bare Koncept
    Like buzza_gts said, I tested the site in FF all the way through development and now am going back and testing with IE6
    Thats your problem you should work your way down the page testing each element in the page in both browsers as you GO, that way you dont get too the end find out its ****ed up then post a broad question on a internet forum.

Please, only reply with something helpful, not to tell me what's not the problem.
    Just trying to help and steer you away from using hacks which you dont need

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a mac guy, don't have IE convenient, guess thats my problem. I just added some conditional comments, though it hurts . If someone could post a screenshot of how it looks now in IE6, I'd appreciate it very much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres a screen shot, now the navbg is behind the actual nav text just need to v-align the whole thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's all your position:relatives that are causing the problems. You SHOULD be able to layout what you want there without using that once.

IE does NOT deal well with position:relative - especially if you get images involved without declaring their heights (like you do with the icons in the upper right corner)... Problems also seem to be occuring in your left menu area on my machine with the text overrunning their containers - likely because you didn't state a font-size of line-height based on the measurement their containers are (px).

hang on, I'll take a stab at it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, here you go. This is a 'fixed' copy.

I had to change how some of the elements were positioned, fix all your font sizes to a MEANINGFUL measurement (since fixed px width, that means px), ripped out all the position:relatives, added some line-heights for better 'control', added positioning to the background images so they will load predictably between browsers, etc, etc.

Rather than post all that CSS here, I'll just toss a copy on my server. Enjoy.

(mind you, you'll want to pull all the absolute paths I added because I didn't bother downloading your images)

http://battletech.hopto.org/html_tut...s/barekoncept/

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is it just me or there are like a load of unnecessary div's in the layout?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona
    Is it just me or there are like a load of unnecessary div's in the layout?
    That there is... I tried to avoid touching his html with my 'fixed' version - I WANTED to start ripping out tags wholesale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HAHA, well, its all fixed now, using some conditional comments. Thanks anyway deathshaddow and others. I know, I bent the rules a little. A few divs are for presentation and don't include any content. Oh well.