SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Regrets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink Regrets

Has anyone here sold a website only to find out a month or year later that the site is making tremendous money? pls post the site url and pls state what you failed to do that the buyer was able to capitalize on, after acquiring the website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the point of this question?

I would say the answer to this is a resounding Yes! I have personally bought several turnkey sites, and after several months they have been succesful for me. I would not be alone in this sort of venture.

There would be hundreds of examples no doubt - If I had paid in the order of say $XXX or more for a website, then I would do my utmost to market that web property to get a return on my investment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well people sometimes sell sites, cause they think it's not succesful, the revenue will go down or something else..

regards

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A site is going you yield profits based on what you put into it. There are few websites that are truely no-touch websites that require no legwork and continual maintenance and marketing to improve. It's going to be hard for people to say exactly what the other person did unless they are actually in contact with them. The visual changes would be apparent but anything behind the scenes would be hard to know. Perhaps they did some marketing campaigns, some PPC advertising, banners, link exchanges, etc.

To be honest, I believe the biggest error people make with their websites that don't produce well is the effort and motivation to make it work. A successful website is going to take a while to grow, involving lots of time (and money) to get it to where you may finally break even or make a profit! There's no magic formula ... just work on making it better than your competitors and give the visitors what they want to see and you'll eventually get there!
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies.

I don't know if you guys have read about the story of how the original Hotmail was acquired by Microsoft from some dude. There was a point when the offer was already so unbelievable, to the point that all of his friends and partners were already begging him to accept the offer. Well, it's been 3 years since I read that story and now I have forgotten much of the details. Anyways, he eventually sold the site to MS but for so much more.

My point is, the original owner of Hotmail was seeing something BIG that nobody else in his company could comprehend at the time. Had they folded too early, they would have regreted taking the first offer.

There's another really fascinating story about how MS brought the original DOS program then used it to run the IBM PCs, it eventually catapulted them to monopolizing the PC operating systems. - if those guys knew what Microsoft was up to, they surely would not have sold their program.

BTW, in no way am I comparing my site to hotmail or that DOS program - don't hold that against me ok? I was just in the mood to share some thoughts.

Have a nice day!