SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Live Search any help to user?

Hi all
    I'm working on a form to add items within a bespoke CMS and have been contemplated the pros and cons of implementing a type of live search within the form. The way I was thinking of it working is:
    1. Users start to fill in form to add items to the database
    2. I don't want them to duplicate these items so thought that as they type the item name, I could return a table of similar results below with a note to say "The database already contains these similar items - Please check to ensure you are not replicating ... blah blah"
    My 2 questions are a) is this actually of any benefit to the user or should I just tell them to check the list of existing items before starting and b) anyone know of any tutorials to tell me how to do it!

Thanks in advance

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a) very useful if your users are prepared to get used to the tool. If it's new visitors who use your form 1-2 times ever then I'd advice against them.
    Generally, live searches are potentially slowing down the typing in the box. Many times people don't need the search results in two formats; one live search and one search results page. I think you should go for it. It sounds like a really good idea.