SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IE default homepage

In the Internet Options menu of IE, there is a button called default homepage (or something similar). This is by default http://www.msn.com. Is there any way I can change this to say: http://www.sitepointforums.com?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ermm... is this a trick question? or are you having some difficulties with IE?

you could just type in www.sitepointforums.com in place of www.msn.com and the click the Use Default button... that should save it until IE has one of it's buggy moments or when a website tries to set on for you using JS...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it's trickier then that, or I misunderstood you. I know how to change my default homepage, meaning the page which IE goes to when started . What I want is to change the default-default homepage of IE. In the Internet Options menu, there are three options for your default page:

Use current
    Use default
    Blanc page
    (note, this is a free translation from the Dutch version, so the actual text may vary).

When I press Use default, the default homepage is automatically set to http://www.msn.com. I want to change this in some other page, like http://www.sitepointforums.com for example. Get the problem ?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't bother clicking any of those buttons. Just change it and click OK or Apply. If I remember correctly...

Making a better wheel silver trophy DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't you guys understand?! he WANTS to change the default default home page -- and i don't blame him.

Mark, any of that crap is usually in the registry. i just did a quick search and that "Default URL" is stored here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Default_Page_URL

just edit that value and put in http://www.sitepointforums.com, or whatever.
    - Matt ** Ignore old signature for now... **
    Dr.BB - Highly optimized to be 2-3x faster than the "Big 3."
    "Do not enclose numeric values in quotes -- that is very non-standard and will only work on MySQL." - MattR

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh right, I seeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Would IE just change it back after a new install though?

Not a post-script error?!! guysmy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to www.sitepointforums.com, click on internet options...
    Don't bother with the url, click on 'use current.' This will make the page open in your browser your homepage.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR
    don't you guys understand?! he WANTS to change the default default home page -- and i don't blame him.
    ah... i thought my reply seemed kinda easy so i figured i must have misunderstood... anyway, it's much easier to change it yourself... or "use current" like guysmy said than to change the registry key value...

personally, i use a blank start page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but he already knows how to "Use Current!" he wants to change the URL that "Use Default" uses, so i told him. ok?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR hit it right on the spot, thanks man. I'll look into that when I get home (in class right now). Techsited, guysmy and redemption, thanks for tying to help me as well .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR

Mark, any of that crap is usually in the registry. i just did a quick search and that "Default URL" is stored here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Default_Page_URL

just edit that value and put in http://www.sitepointforums.com, or whatever.
    I don't suppose while you were poking around in the registry you found anything to change the default title and throbber image did you? I had a look but couldn't find anything, and I guess I didn't have the right search command to find it either...
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by weirdbeardmt
    I don't suppose while you were poking around in the registry you found anything to change the default title and throbber image did you? I had a look but couldn't find anything, and I guess I didn't have the right search command to find it either...
    a custom window title is here:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Window Title

delete that value and it will go back to the default. or create a string value if you want to change the title.

the throbber i'm not sure about... i think there's been different value names in different IE versions. here's a few you might try.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\SmBrandBitmap
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\BigBitmap
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\SmallBitmap

those, i believe, contain the path to the image.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try X-Setup from www.xteq.com, its capable of doing these things without manual editting of the registry. It doesn't change the default homepage though, but there's probably a plug for it that adds that.