SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How did _you_ get started?

I'm curious to hear some stories on how you left "the man" and started working for yourself. I've been interested in doing this since I was 18 probably and I have learned so much watching myself grow through college, entering the real world, and all of the other events that have happened in these last 5 years. I was really close to getting a business started just a year or so ago and I regret not having that go through. We had our product developed, we had a major client ready to be the initial deployment and a few others on deck due to the press we had received locally. The team just broke up due to life events and man did it suck. That would have been a wonderful opportunity to skip out on that 9-5 job we seem to fall into after college.

These days I'm looking at it as a way to enjoy what I do each day, regain a little freedom in my daily routine, and live at the same time. I don't think about it as "getting rich" or whatever. Honestly, I'd like to hack away at some desktop software for OS X and sell it for $15-25. For the non-mac crowd out there, you'd be surprised how many businesses survive on a few applications that sell for this figure. Sure, you won't become a millionaire but if you sell somewhat well you'll end up making a decent living... at least comparible to the 9-5 job, without as much of the bull.

So anyway, what has worked for you? What didn't work out so well?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most important thing for sucessful business in my opinion is information and ideas. For me it started with a banal idea, that brought little income and took a lot of time. (So banal that it came to a few other people's heads as well) I was tweaking things a lot, trying to save time and increase profits. You have to get lucky, but luck won't come if you don't try different ideas. Took me 2 years to reach level where I was more or less able to support myself.
    I am guessing my only direct competitor makes about half of what I make, because they don't know a few things that I do.
    I would probably end up with one of those 9-5 jobs, but fortunately I don't have employable personality. Never worked for the man, never will unless they pass the law that makes it illegal, like military draft or mandatory corporate employment or something.