User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by av1998
    Just wondering if anybody here works for a major media/graphics-oriented company OR have friends who do .....

Could be an advertising firm, billboard creation company, magazine publisher, greeting cards company, animation development studio and many others ....
    I used to know someone who worked for a company that did some post production for The Matrix. I seem to remember them using a mixture of systems, including SGI Irix systems which no-one has metioned so far.
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice! he got a lot of money for that then!
    Our Sites: Arcade Muffin | Viefex

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was watching today's 'ScreenSavers' on TechTV and there was a guy from dvGarage.com doing a demo on Digital Video editing. The guy, Alex Linsay, is an awesome visual media artist. He was working on a short clip featuring Leo and Patrick dueling it out using LightSabers. The software used to create those special fx was being used on a Mac.

I have heard great things about the AVID system.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah sorry hillsy, SGI systems are quite amazing for video, especially when you buy a full video suite, though the cost is even more prohibitive then the AVID (2-3x as much).
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have some SGI O2's at work that might be going cheap soon
    that's me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This kind of sparked my interest. Movies usually have amazing special effects et cetera (thinking Matrix, Harry Potter, Star Wars). Anyway, does anyone know what they use for all of their computer editing and things for all of the speial effects. Something I've always wondered.
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a look @ www.animallogic.com - they have a bunch of interesting info on how they do some of their effects.
    that's me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Aes
    Movies usually have amazing special effects et cetera (thinking Matrix, Harry Potter, Star Wars). Anyway, does anyone know what they use for all of their computer editing and things for all of the speial effects.
    I am a very avid movie lover who has always loved the other side of films. So I have watched every "making of" I could find. And to answer your question I've seen alot of both in all I've seen. I've seen some though, where the entire working area was all mac's. Have yet to see one where they were all PCs. (This is of course assuming it had a decent view of the offices to even see the majority of the comps).
    ravio.com
    Email: corey@ravio.com

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be perfectly honest most high end systems use custom software that they develop, not avid or anything else, and the O/S doesn't really matter since the new ones are done in Java.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some observations that I've managed to recall from watching TV programs on movie special fx, as well as music production .....

The movie 'Final Fantasy' used the Maya software, which ran on primarily Silicon Graphics(SGI) systems.

Toy Story, A Bug's Life and Monsters Inc. are products of Pixar Studios, which is led by Steve Jobs. So, there is certainly some Apple influence in there somewhere along the line.

On the music side of things, I saw a few episodes of MTV Cribs, which is a show that highlights various celebrities' homes. I've seen Moby and Babyface producing sound clips and mixes in their own homes using Apple G4 terminals.

I agree with Aes and c-pr0mpt, because I myself have always enjoyed watching documentaries that reveal the making of movies, sort of the behind the scenes of Hollywood.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without reading the other posts.
    I say No
    Ken Prescott - 21Studios freelancing design
    Graphic-Forums - The Forums for the Graphic User

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many people keep mentioning TV/Film effects, and I also noticed someone mentioned Pixar and Steve Jobs as well. The thing is, it appears that the special effects industry is moving to a more open source platform, linux. In fact, Pixar's software, which does a lot of the special effects for movies, runs on linux.

For more information on this, read some from the fairly recent archives of www.salon.com and www.wired.com. Look out for "Monsters INC," that's what most of the articles are haedlined as.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do alot of freelance graphic work and prefer my mac at home to the pc in my office. My experience with two ad agencies is on mac platforms. Huge units with large monitors...multimedia at its best is on a mac.

To use photoshop on my PC at work is a pain. It grinds and chuggles when I click a button to do anything. It jerks and complains.

For me to do the same work on my Mac...is effortless. Even with less memory...the mac is just happier with graphics for me.

The universities around here has both platforms and yet for the communications graphics departments, the PCs sit on one side of the room with dark screens while the students sign up for the Macs.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kakki: You made an excellent point regarding art departments at universities. I was at the University of Michigan a few weeks ago, touring their architecture and visual arts departments. I noticed a huge number of Mac G4 workstations with large flat-panel monitors occupied by students working on rendering and graphics/digital manipulation projects.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Wes DeMoney
    Many people keep mentioning TV/Film effects, and I also noticed someone mentioned Pixar and Steve Jobs as well. The thing is, it appears that the special effects industry is moving to a more open source platform, linux. In fact, Pixar's software, which does a lot of the special effects for movies, runs on linux.[clip]
    The Pixar software was written originally for NeXT.

When it runs on Mac OS X with a G4 and the Velocity engine, it runs circles around simlilarly priced Intel hardware running Linux.

I think you'll see the next big Pixar movie will have a major OS X component. Animation development speeds of 2x the current architecture are reported. This means big bucks for the film business.

-t

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kakki I had the same experience. When I was at college all the labs were filled with iMac's and G4's - I was doing Multimedia Production & Design. I had never used a Mac up until then, but now I swear by them!
    Last edited by Pauline; Nov 26, 2001 at 22:22.