SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do artists/web designers *really* prefer Macs ?

An extension of an earlier topic: "Mac users here?"

I am just curious as to the validity of the notion that the majority of the people in the creative industry such as artists, graphic designers, web illustrators and etc. DO INDEED prefer the Apple platform over Windows and UNIX-based platforms.

The SitePoint community consists of such individuals, or perhaps know people who are in the creative industry ..... please share your thoughts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll find that a majority of people who work in the print industry use Macs. The main reason is because of Fonts. When you send a document to be printed you have to include the fonts and if you're using a PC and the Print shop is using a Mac (which they almost ALL do), then you're gonna be in some trouble.

However, in my experience, web design is either split 50/50 or leaning more towards the PC side. Almost all programmers use PC's though. I don't know any programmers who use Macs except to test on.

Macs are still good computers but they don't have the edge over PC's that they once did. Namely the same applications exist for PC as for Mac which means that for a much smaller sum (the cost of the computer), you can do the same work.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by creole
    [clip]Macs are still good computers but they don't have the edge over PC's that they once did. Namely the same applications exist for PC as for Mac which means that for a much smaller sum (the cost of the computer), you can do the same work.
    I started out with a major length, point by point comparison and argument here, but then I deleted it all and gave up. It's no use. All the arguments have been made before, and they make no difference. Opinion is still opinion and none of us will change each other's views in a forum like this.

Macs and PCs are different computers with different target audiences. Most people never realize that they should have bought the "other" brand until they are so frustrated trying to do what they bought the computer for that they walk away in disgust. This is why the converts are so righteous - they made the mistake the first time, and switching to the other platform was their salvation. Both sides have them. Both are correct.

PC users will always say that PCs are better than Macs.

Mac users will always say that Macs are btter than PCs.

I use both. I prefer Macs.

I program, natively, in both of these environments. I prefer Macs.

I program remotely on *nix, VMS, MVS and other more obscure systems. I prefer to do so from a Mac. I don't always have the option, though when I do, I prefer it.

I do web design. I do graphics design. I do page layout for publication. I prefer to do all of these from Macs.

I write. I review. I edit. I self-publish. I prefer to to all of these things from Macs.

You can do all of these things from PCs as well. They work. Pick a system and do something with it. For most users, either platform will work fine. Get on with it.

It's a religious war and no one will win it. Just be thankful that Micro$oft has not put Apple out of business yet, so you will continue to have options, and continue to get new features driven by a need to be better than the competition. Without this competition, we would still be using command line DOS with CP/M being the major alternative.

No one wants to go back there - well, almost no one .

-t

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Do artists/web designers *really* prefer Macs ?

Back to the actual question:

Do artists/web designers *really* prefer Macs ?
    Some do. Some don't. It's like everything else in life.

-t

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started out with a major length, point by point comparison and argument here, but then I deleted it all and gave up.
    Shame....I would quite liked to have seen it....
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    asking this question is like asking if you prefer chocolate or vanilla ice cream. Now of course your going to have alot of people in here that will state as fact that chocolate is better. but you know, some people prefer vanilla.
    Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

This is a rather targeted question, if you examined the wording carefully. I do not expect people to go off-tangent and start a Mac/Windows or Linux/Windows argument whatsoever.

The issue in question is about industry-wide preferences rather than general personal likings such as chocolate/vanilla or GameCube/PS2/XBox or boxers/briefs.

So, please ..... if you have first-hand experiences or first-hand observations regarding the industry-wide deployment of Macs within the art/creative sector ..... let's share that with the community. Otherwise, let's not start another OS flame ..... I believe we've been through all that enough times.

Not a post-script error?!! guysmy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Graphic Designers have traditionally used Macs, however I see that changing.

It's becoming a matter of preference.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason i dont like macs is how you have to buy a brand new "imac" every time you want another mac, though that probably doesnt sound like a problem.. but if you built a pc from scratch, your almost always guarenteed to build the same computer with some hundreds to spare.
    signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting.... I think so, but I also think thatís changing. Macs have been dominant because designers all trained on them, and, like Creole stated, print shops and the like all use them. Apple always has donated to schools and collages, students learned on them.

Web designers, on the other hand, I think almost unanimously use PC. Note that professional web designers are a bit more diverse, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do website and graphic design and use Mac's exclusively after switching over from PC's. I find the Mac platform is better for my needs in design but everyone is different. However all the freelance designers I've used to help out on bigger projects all used Mac's too so in my experience Mac's still have a slightly higher user base in design than PC's do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The video industry and the print graphics industry use Macintosh (I mean, unless they're using alternative or proprietary OSs) because Macintosh is better supported for high end multimedia editing software, and it also helps that macs have built in firewire, and video editing capabilities (quicktime is much more pathetic on windows).
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth BlogTwitterContact me
    Neon Javascript FrameworkJokesAndroid stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well QuickTime is just pathetic anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, i did work experience at a major website design company... and i got to pay around with both platforms... doing similar things.

The macs were a bit 'smoother' in general, but i hate having to press 'option' for heaps of things. There are also major networking problems with the macs, and since the server and mainframe were not macs, they were about to get rid of all of the macs.

I dont know, but all of the macs there had one screen, while most of the pc's had 2 or 3 (ohh, yeah, baby ) can your average mac support more than 1 screen?

well, i did like how the mac was smoother, but on my third day at work experience I accidently killed it whoops...

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Do artists/web designers *really* prefer Macs ?

Originally posted by av1998
    DO INDEED prefer the Apple platform over Windows and UNIX-based platforms.
    Mac OS X is Unix, sir.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by platinum

I dont know, but all of the macs there had one screen, while most of the pc's had 2 or 3 (ohh, yeah, baby ) can your average mac support more than 1 screen?
    Macs invented that concept, years ago It's been available on the PC since what, 1998?

PCs are much (much, much) more popular in the corporate sector too. Some designers I know work with them simply because that's the standard desktop in whatever large company they work for.

We were actually going to get a Mac here at work for video editing. Would have looked a bit out of place among 300 Dells Anyway the IS department weren't too keen and the NASDAQ crashed at about the same time. Maybe later
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may be pathetic on a PC, but it is far from pathetic when you consider how much television, movie and internet content is cut/rendered on a mac.

I don't know of any equivalent on PC that is so versatile. Mac is just the standard platform for media houses, that is, those that don't use alternative operating systems.

One thing's for sure - macs definitely aren't for more technical people like me. I assume you would rarely see a software developer using a mac.
    Last edited by mmj; Nov 20, 2001 at 04:35.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth BlogTwitterContact me
    Neon Javascript FrameworkJokesAndroid stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mmj
    ...television, movie and internet content is cut/rendered on a mac.
    Television stations use proprietary software and/or specialized machines, not on a Personal Computers (witch Macs technically are). Most of the video stuff done on a Mac is by amateurs and independent type persons, I think.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good discussion and insights thus far .....

Just wondering if anybody here works for a major media/graphics-oriented company OR have friends who do .....

Could be an advertising firm, billboard creation company, magazine publisher, greeting cards company, animation development studio and many others ....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'use to work for (or better, volunteer at) a local TV station.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TV: Main system is AVID. AVID is Mac only. All major non-linear editings suites (suites, not software) are Mac.

Print: It's really split. The myth that most print companies only have Macs is a thing of the past, they all have PC workstations and output boxes because so many customers use PC's as well (it's bad business not to). Therefore, because more printing houses have PC's, more designers are switching to PC's as well (though most schools still traditionally teach on Macs).

Which is better isn't the question. They are both tools which have their advantages and disadvantages though.

Here we use all PC's except the AVID suite.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll defer to you on that, Jeremy. I really can't say my TV experience was normal, traditional, sane...

That was a few years ago and I remember that we used special hardware for most stuff (wasn't anything Avid made, though). They were looking to buy a Trinity system (or something like that) when I left. If I remember, that wasn't Mac, right?

Anyway, everyone at the station agreed that it was better than PowerPoint (I'm not joking, there was a quick intro from PowerPoint with just about every show). And, seeing that I was the only who could use PowerPoint and get animation, witch really blew them over, it seemed like a good investment, they never got it though (3k short of a good investment, I think)...

Well, I could go on, but that's part of why I moved on...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... Sounds like a rather small TV station. Put it this way, a basic AVID system is 170K *L*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    C170k? A friend of mine has one and I thought he said it was only $100k.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would have been used at that price. Ours was 4 years old and still cost 70K.