SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Practise / Tips / Advice?

Hi Guys. Right after a long lay off I am back on the development trail!!
    I am still struggling with what you guys might deem 'basic css functionality'. I would really appreciate some pointers (bought the books, not as helpful as I would have hoped as I am not the worlds best at putting into practice what I read!!).

I develop using dreamweaver mx 2004. In my previous attempts at implementing css I ended up with divs and floats everywhere + some really messy css (hacked at dreamweaver template).

I would like a consistent look to the text content area. Style + spacing. The problem with dreamweaver is every time you hit the enter key it pops in a <p> tag. Should each paragraph be in a div with the css attached to each div? Should there be a master div for the whole page then divs for each area (top nav, left nav, main content etc...).

I do not want my design to be too square. I could use css table-less templates from this site + in-built in Dreamweaver. I would however like to understand and develop my own.......enough for now, sorry to waffle.
    Advice, tips, links appreciated (i have been a bit ambiguous I know!!).
    Kind Regards,
    Phil.

Winemaster bronze trophy BonRouge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phil,
    If you use Dreamweaver, do not use the 'design view'. You say that it adds 'p' tags when you press enter... You shouldn't let it write any code for you. Write the code yourself. Of course, you can use templates provided by others, but make sure you know how they work and why. As for links and things, you need to be a bit more specific. What do you want exactly? I can offer you my top tips, layouts, etc, but I think you already know where they are. Otherwise, you might like to try Google...

I hope that helps in some way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello

Hi Steve. As you can see I am still numb from the neck up!! I start a new job at the end of the month and web site re-design was part of the agreement!! Ha! Ha! I can do a web site using tables + a mixture of css + markup (your site is superb, hope to use some tips when my brain is re-trained).

I would like to use php for this one but not MySql as no real need for a db(php for menus, different background colour for current page link etc..). PHP to pull in content, page text, images......

Thought about a table-less css layout but cannot grasp displaying elements (i.e. page nav + nav background images left and right etc...). Where to begin regards layout if you have no tables to position ye bits!!

I have a vague idea of how I would like the page to look. Header (banner at the top, maybe some links) Left nav with suitable background image to break up the squareness (does that make sense) this to be mirrored on the right side of the page (i.e. left and right nav with background images). A page footer displaying address details (maybe). The main page content in the middle. So Left Nav 25%, Right Nav 25%, Main Content 50% (or pixels not sure of best size for users settings).

Does that explain things better? I have downloaded various tools (php being just one (xampp, installed but just could not understand).

As a quick project I was going to do a site for my wife as she is into photography (I like this site: http://www.arte-fotografica.co.uk). Here I would like to use your great example of a gallery to pull in photos using php (but lets not run until we can crawl!!!!!)
    Cheers,
    Phil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi -
    BonRouge does have some excellent resources, as does
    Paul - check the css sticky section for some good starting
    pointers. Just keep in mind the default display of basic html
    tags [block-level vs. inline] and yes, use divisions to break
    your page down to big chunks that can then contain headers,
    paragraphs, lists, etc. It's incredibly helpful to also have a
    large div right after the body tag to control all others within it.
    [Esp. for setting page width in px or %, the font-family, etc.]

When it comes to floating divs and other elements, just be sure
    you clear them afterwards to return to the normal flow.
    I have a wee bit o' time - if you'd like to pm a few simple images I'll
    give you a skeleton to work from ;-)

Good luck,
    El
    F-Fox 2.0 :: WIN :: el design :: US

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers

Thanks guys................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scouser
    The problem with dreamweaver is every time you hit the enter key it pops in a <p> tag.
    Shift+Enter = <br>

If you want to develop your own CSS based designs there's plenty of resources to get help from. You've got Adobe's own section for DW and CSS, Project Seven should still have some CSS layouts around, Google 'Dreamweaver CSS tutorials' and you should get another load.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy linkin99's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by junjun
    ...Project Seven should still have some CSS layouts around, ...
    Their css layouts are ok. Where they really shine in my opinion is their development of css-based menus.