SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need feedback on this site idea [kinda long]

I'm not sure if this is the right section for this thread, but because it is to do with the commercial potential of a site idea, I'll post it in here.

After the loss of the vast majority of my songs, and unfortunately my old collections (see a thread in the computer section), I was devastated. What's more, I realised the cost of some of these songs to replace and they would be thousands. I don't have the original CDs to some of these albums because they were 10, even 20, years old when the type of music I listen to was arguably better than how it is today.

Anyway, this gave me an idea. To make money to replace individual albums (old ones) and eventually, rebuild collections of popular artists, I should make a website with a database of ALL my current songs. I should make this searchable, and include information such as vocalist, producer, length, rating, and hundreds of attributes which I can think of. Also a good idea would, using the software I have, use a form to allow custom SQL command to be entered to interrogate the database (of course I can write a guide on this for new users as SQL isn't very hard, and users only ever will need the SELECT FROM WHERE framework).

The site would be useful because there have been ocassions when I hear a song on the radio which I like but I missed the beginning where the presenter said the song details. Some people don't understand Punjabi (the language of the songs I listen to) and only understand a few words here and there, which are usually the theme of the song (such as girls, eyes, lips, etc). This can be an attribute in English to help users who don't know Punjabi (like me) and search the database for that elusive song they heard. Then from seeing the latest entry and checking some attributes (such as date of production) it would be obvious which song it was someone wanted info on. I have enough spare time to put into the idea and the music I like I am always updated on so I can keep the site up-to-date. I'd also allow users to upload info.

The only cost is hosting, which will be minimal (shared for now), and buying albums won't break the bank. I doubt I'd sell songs online because of legal issues in reselling, but I'd probably provide short samples, about one verse. I could also write a blog on the music I listen to as I know enough about it.

Most importantly, I love this idea and it is better than doing something which is set to make money but I don't love - like running a DVD shop for arguments sake.

My only concern is, while this idea is unique, does the site have any commercial potential? Because my long term aim is to rebuild my music collection, the idea obviously needs potential. The music I listen to is a niche (not as popular as say hip hop, which I don't listen to), but I intend to run ads and affiliate schemes on the site - such as those for backup devices as people with a large music collection are realising the importance of external HDs etc - cheap insurance. Because buying albums or even individual songs of the net is something I do quite often, the site will be updated often so visitors should be retained.

Lastly, the idea is sort of already in use here . However, the execution of the idea is ok. I'd have a better design, avoid the signing up process as it detracts visitors etc, and I have songs lacking on that site (then again, the site has a decent community and a user is bound to upload the song). Should I be demotivated from the idea if it is already in use and does it mean the site will lose some of its potential?

Please leave your opinions/questions.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure how well it would work commerically (on one hand, it'd be handy to have a site which had a database of nearly all the songs of a particular genre if you were looking to find a specific one, but OTOH, I've always been able to find an elusive song by searching for bits of the lyrics).
    However, my comment to you would be not to just have a field where people can enter an SQL query. Unless the music on your site is entirely nerdcore, you will rarely get a visitor who knows SQL or, if you do, they would probably rather go to a good search page where you can enter bits of the lyrics (separated by comas, for example) and enter whatever information they know about the song into a page and search.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -Blade-
    I should make a website with a database of ALL my current songs. I should make this searchable, and include information such as vocalist, producer, length, rating, and hundreds of attributes which I can think of.

My only concern is, while this idea is unique
    I just wanted to state that this idea isn't unique, it's essentially a lyrics site with added functionality.

Could it work? Sure.

Would you make money off it? You're competing with thousands of turnkey lyric sites out there and the RIAA is starting to clamp down on lyric sites for copyright infringement so I don't know about that.

Best of luck if you do decide to go forward with this.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...but I'd probably provide short samples, about one verse.
    That idea a lone will cost you a lot of money - you can't just put snippets of commercial music up for public broadcast, not without either an approriate license or by paying fees to the song publishers. So your first step would be to find out how much that will cost you (probably more than it would to buy back your record collection...)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the lyric/song information sites I've seen are for English songs rather than the songs I listen to. Even then, the sites which have lyrics relevant to my music are limited in songs. There are sites like I'd like to build, but for completely different music so I wouldn't really be competing with them. If I am looking for lyrics, I'm not taking into account the thousands of other lyrics sites nor have I ever typed such a search term into Google.

It does suck about the RIAA clamping down on lyrics. That's a major blow to the very few sites I know which have lyrics and I like to read these lyrics to understand the language.

As for samples, there is controversy but that is about playing full songs on radios and not recieving enough royalty fees. Didn't know about samples though. But not having samples I can do without, lyrics would be a strong addition that is required.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the lyric/song information sites I've seen are for English songs rather than the songs I listen to. Even then, the sites which have lyrics relevant to my music are limited in songs. There are sites like I'd like to build, but for completely different music so I wouldn't really be competing with them. If I am looking for lyrics, I'm not taking into account the thousands of other lyrics sites nor have I ever typed such a search term into Google.
    So your niche would be punjabi language songs.

From a business perspective I don't think you would make any money for the simple reason that punjabi traffic is essentially useless as far as making money goes at the moment. You won't get a decent paying network to accept you so your revenue will be pretty close to zero.

It does suck about the RIAA clamping down on lyrics. That's a major blow to the very few sites I know which have lyrics and I like to read these lyrics to understand the language.
    Well I doubt the RIAA would represent the punjabi language record labels so you would probably be safe from them

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah true.

Although the site I build won't just be aimed at attracting Punjabi traffic but Asian traffic, with varied religions and races visiting. So visitors from UK, USA, Canada, Pakistan, Nepal (and similar countries), and arguably most notably - India. I say most notably because India's population is huge and growing, there are a lot of people who are now net literate (lots of programmers etc are coming from these emerging markets).

Obviously the music I want to feature (a specific and popular subcategory of Indian/Punjabi music) on my site is very popular there, as this is the only music really played at parties and for fun. This is unlike English music, where one could play rnb or hip hop when they are upbeat and want to listen to upbeat music.

However, I do need stats on these statements to work out whether the idea really is worth the effort.

As for legal issues surrounding lyrics and samples, I have emailed one record label so far but to no reply. That is something I'm looking into.