User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Copyright on Online Pictures

Hello everyone!

I'm starting up my blog, and wanted to know if there are any legal issues to using pictures from other sites. The sites I'm thinking of "borrowing" pictures from would be news sites (e.g. CNN, BBC, etc).

Would it be enough to simply give credit to the site or media agency the pictures belong to, or do I need to get permission first, before using the pictures?

Many thanks in advance...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Legally you can not unless you have their permission.
    Spoiltchild Design Consultancy - Design | Web | Motion
    Rudeball - Spot the Ball game engine for your site.
    Wedding Tickers Counting down to your wedding..

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you definately need to get permission, in writing is always good as you will then have proof in the case of a dispute.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys...

You could've at least *pretended* it was ok! :P

And this applies to all photos, irrespective of source or use? And even if I give them credit?

I'm hoping that written permission is not required every time I need a picture from the same source...

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply...

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, you cannot use other people's images, text, scripts, programs, photos, illustrations or any piece of unique creative work. It's copyrighted and they own the right to it.

Giving credit does not give you the right to use it. The only way you can legally use the content is with permission from the creator.

The only exception would be if the content was licensed uner a particular use - like creative commons - which would give you permission to use it. Otherwise (and even if there is no explicit copyright notice) the content is copyrighted and you must have permission.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brandon, thank you for your reply.

I thought news agencies operated by simply giving credit. I'm glad I didn't act on my assumptions

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most news agencies have staff photographers or pay freelancers for their images. Many of the images you see on popular news sites are copyright AP (Associated Press) photographers. The news sites pay a hefty sum for subscriptions to AP content and digital media, and in addition to that they also have to give credit to the source.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    points of consideration for fair use:

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

as applies to you:

(1) if you put up advertising or in some way make a profit from this site that's a point against you

(2) copyrighted photographs most likely exclusive to a particular news agency

(3) you'd most likely copy the whole photograph

(4) they pay for these photographs and the rights to use them. putting them up elsewhere devalues them as a tool to generate interest in their articles.

conclusion:

not good