Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My friends and I are looking for some expert opinions for our website

Hello Everyone!

I and my friends joined our resources and developed a social networking website. Since we have been involved with the website from conception to completion we are unable to review the website without bias. Here I request upon your expert opinions and pointers to make it one of the best social networking websites.

The URL is:

http://www.minglenow.com/

Regards,

Sheetal Dadhwal

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Viewed in Safari...

1) Before I even looked at your site I ran it through www.websiteoptimization.com, and it is a little large for dial-up.
    2) Your flash animation is nice, but it is way to long, and only repeats what is on the front page... try something more like just random jokes or something.
    3) The page looks nice, but i am not going to just put in my e-mail, give people some more information, before requiring their e-mail.
    4) If the blog is like what the rest of the site looks like, you use 2 different types of fonts (very common mistake). The text is times on the top and 3rd blog and arial or verdana on the rest.

I would like to see more but I don't just hand out my email like that. It looks good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. Competition is pretty stiff when it comes to networking, so you've got your work cut out for you.
    I quite like the logo and it's animation, but I'm not too keen on the color theme - too bright for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Sheetal...
    Flash on the homepage is going to be rough on your SEO. Search engines can't read flash animation. I'd add some more text, if I were you.
    Like Justin said, fixing the fonts would make the site appear more professional. Alternately, you can use one font for titles, and one for the rest.
    Lastly, how does your site stand out from others?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't really add much to what's been said. By insisting people submit their email before seeing any content will put most people off - give 'em something to look at!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't quite get it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a ton for such encouraging responses.
    Last edited by Sheetal Dadhwal; Jul 31, 2006 at 21:50.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just think there are too many of the kind out there but you still have the chance to shine. I see you have started with an appealing but simple layout, the flash animation isn't too bad but it also isn't very necessary. Other than that nice, simple site and it also gets to the point I think.
    eFlair Design | Premium Design Services and Web Consultation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More explanation and giving people a reason to comeback is very important for a construction page.

Good logo. I like the colors actually and the flash is good I think.
    Thanks Sitepoint!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats the thing. Myspace has teh social networking scene pretty much sewed up in my opinion. Then you have the other social networking sites to deal with. I think you will get alot of "not another social networking site" replies.

What's next? We have to really think outside of the box here. Maybe niche social networking sites. How about a social networking site matching midgets? I think the general social networking site is washed up, but there is always that key word "innovation". Keep moving forward and be different.

Din

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot for your suggestions. keeping your suggestions in mind I will try to enhance the usabililty, looks and the website itself.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a bad site, i like the cartoon, it is cute. Good work.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am glad that you liked the cartoon as it was the main thing we were trying to emphasize in the website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't sign up because you really don't explain what makes your site different from MySpace, TagWorld, FaceBook, and all the rest of the social networking sites. While the flash is cute, how about a clear bullet-point list underneath it showing how you plan to differ from the competition?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with them. Just viewing your homepage doesn't tell me what minglenow is except some sort of social networking. It does make me curious and if I didn't have to give my email I'd want to go see, but giving you my email before knowing what your site does or even if theres a site beyond this page or not isn't going to happen.

Good luck with the project though. I think if your site has something inovative over the other social networking sites (something your homepage should stress) then theres is definately a large market.

Thanks for posting.

edit:
    I guess the flash does say what makes you different about a minute after the page loads. I'd suggest go all or nothing with the flash. Either get rid of it and replace it with your key selling points in a static format or keep it and make it the only thing to focus. Make it clear that your supposed to be watching it because it has the important information. I didn't watch it the first time (and what would have been the only time if I were a guest) because I didn't know it was important to watch it. I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

-Clayton

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Clyaton,

for the positive response and i will see what we can do about the Flash things.
    Last edited by Sheetal Dadhwal; Jul 31, 2006 at 21:51.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mingle looks like it could be very nice depending on how it is on the inside. A cluter free, more facebook type social networking site is the way to go compared to Myspace and others. I see no problems with the design. I also don't think the flash really matters: content determines seo more than graphics.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Astereo,

but my friends and I are trying our best to make the website better.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!

we have made certain changes to the website. Could you please go through the website and give ur comments on it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jazz it up, add some more information and description. Site Navigation. Do you have different rooms where they can meet with simalar interests?

Maybe you could add a search bar for their friends to search them on your site.

I agree with the fonts, keep them the same, different colors is okay.

More pictures and information, not many people will add their email address into something they don't know what they are getting in return.

Great concept

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are interested in graphics try searching actionscript

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot Buzzing for ur great suggestions, we will try to incorporate them in our website.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the clean homepage design and color scheme. The flash is also nice, but I don't think a lot of the visitors will have the attention span to sit through it. I'd find a way to shorten it to less than 10 seconds. Or maybe even just do the last part where the M and the N wiggles and then 'mingles', and provide a description below it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Site looks really nice! Very Web 2.0 if you will. "Coming Summer 2006" though.. it is summer 2006! Maybe your slogan needs revising as well "Your life online"? Also: try to change it to css, it wouldnt be hard!
    the blog looks VERY nice though, good work

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice colors. I think it needs more content, but design wise, it looks solid.
    http://www.ifshtf.com
    From Apocalypse to Zombies, we've got you covered.