SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trigger Words: What Are Our Clients Looking For?

Hey Guys,

I've been doing some research as part of my efforts to redesign my web design business site. An article I read today got me thinking. It's called The Right Trigger Words and I like it because it's based on solid research as opposed to speculation.

If you don't have time to read it, in short, it outlines the importance of using trigger words in the links on your site to draw visitors into your site and help them find what they're looking for. It defines trigger words as "the words and phrases that trigger a user into clicking".

Now, like most good advice, it's all just common sense. But, the tough bit, it says, is choosing your trigger words. So, I'd like to ask my fellow web designers, what are our clients looking for? The answer to this question will help with SEO too. The trigger words we use on our site are the words we should be optimising for. So what do our clients search for?

Right now, I've optimised my site for "dublin web design", "dublin web site designer", et cetera. And it seems people search for this. But I've only just pulled this out of my head. Anyone any thoughts on what people looking for web design work search for and look for?

Would love to hear your thoughts on this. Cheers.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't quite understand how having a link on your own site with the words 'dublin web design' could be considered a trigger word - there's no form of 'trigger' in that phrase? My understanding of trigger words is more like a 'call to action' - i.e. 'Buy this now and save 20%', 'Discover how we can reduce your costs by 50%', 'Learn how a CMS can transform your web site's effectiveness ten-fold'.

I would consider 'dublin web design' a search engine key phrase - optimise your site for it by the usual methods. But in order to get people doing what you want them to do once they've found your site via a search engine (e.g. buy a product, sign up to your newsletter, complete your enquiry form etc), you'll need to come up with various ways to encourage them on this path, which typically involves calls to action (or 'trigger words').

The best way I've found in calculating the most effectivie phrases for my own sites is to set up A/B testing and measure which links produce the best results. For example, an ecommerce site may try a set of different landing pages for the same product; one to have an 'add to cart' button, one to have an 'Order this now' button, and one to have 'Buy this now'. For a web design site, I would suggest that links and copy use phrases that target business owners needs and emotions - save money, save time, improve profits, improve customer support, etc.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowbox
    I don't quite understand how having a link on your own site with the words 'dublin web design' could be considered a trigger word...
    Oops, of course it's not. That's a phrase I imagine my clients search for. I was talking SEO there I suppose. Sorry for the confusion.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing that article mate; a good reminder of some fundamental usability principles.