User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Web Design - Terms & Conditions

G'day All,

I'm currently in the process of structuring a web design business, and needing some opinions about somthing. When a client wants me to design there webpage, as part of the quote should there be a section in which they have to agree to like a terms and conditions thing. For example:

You must agree to the following terms and conditions:

1. Sites designed by us are the work and ownership of us and therefore require a small link or small image at the bottom of your main page. Sites found with the removal of this link or image will face a severe penalty.

Should this be part of the quote and if they do not agree then there will be no designing commenced???

Please Help!

Thanks
    Jordan

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jelena's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't imagine who would agree with that.
    It doesn't make much sense. Clients would want to have full rights for the design you provide them.
    -- Jelena --

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree there. But should I have a terms and conditions to protect myself from clients?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jelena's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, of course you should write your contracts the way you protect yourself.

Browse or search our Business and Legal Issues forum.

In fact, I have reported this thread to be moved over there.
    -- Jelena --

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks jelena. I have just added you to MSN if you use it, it would be great to meet you, thanks for your input.

Cheers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jelena
    It doesn't make much sense. Clients would want to have full rights for the design you provide them.
    Plenty of companies include something similar (not worded so harshly, of course ) in their contracts, most with an option to have the link removed at an additional fee.

As for full rights, I can't imagine many small businesses would be happy to pay for full rights (re-distribution and all) - what's the use? Nor can I see many designers willing to give those rights at a normal fee.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be worth considering if you really want an link from the clients webpage as well.

Sure it is a backlink, but sometimes a backlink like that can really have bad consequences for your company as well.

For example:
    -The company can redesign the webpage by themself at a later point, but leaving in your link. Anyone browsing their page now, will believe it was your company that created this horrible looking webpage.
    -Beeing associated with the company can be a very bad thing in a few months, if it gets into a scandal. (An easy example is Enron, how fast do you think companies working with them removed anything that could associate them with em?)

If you are hosting their webpages you have access to remove the link, but unless you are in a maintainence contract or something similar doing so is illigal. And what if the webpage is hosted on their companies webserver, without you having access to it? That would mean your link would stay there, possible making people frown up on your company as well.

Just a few points you should consider before "demanding" a link like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Ask, don't demand

I have links on most of my client's sites back to mine. In most all cases, I asked for it. In a few, the client offered it. As I have a good repoir with my clients, it is something I am proud of.

The link is not the be-all, end all. What is important is that if you have their permission to use them as a reference, either as a testimonial, or simply the fact that you did work for them. This does not mean that you necessarily need to have a list of all of your clients on your Web site, but to have that permission up-front is a good ace to have in your back pocket if you need to play it!

mp/m

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply guys, I really appreciate them. Ok, by the sounds of things it seems that this isn't something that most people do. Anyway leaving that clause behind, what other things do you think I should include. That thing was just minor, what other important things should I include?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll find a sample web design contract at: http://www.blarneystone.com/designbusiness/notes.htm - could be used as a starting point.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tyssen, thanks for the reply. Greatly appreciated.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blarneystone contract
    Links. Up to an average of 2.5 external links per page
    Lol - who write these things?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowbox
    Lol - who write these things?
    Some of it's pretty outdated and not really relevant anymore but if you've never dealt with a contract before, there's some useful info in there.