Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding IE 7.0 address bar protection problem

Hello,

Can any one hlep me in disabling address bar in IE7.0 using javascript.
    In IE 6.0 if you give locaiton = no, it will disable the address bar.It was not working with IE 7.0.

Please respondto my post it 's kind of urgent.

Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several browsers have dropped the ability to hide the address bar, in order to improve security.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If it isn't a part of your web page then you shouldn't be trying to change it with Javascript. Web browsers are gradually improving security to close the holes that allowed Javascript to tamper with the browser configuration.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If you are trying to hide a path/file from users, javascript is not the way to do it. What if javascript is disabled? Perhaps youi can do this server-side with Apache mod rewrite using a rule like shown_path/shown_filename real_path/real_filename ??

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another observation: don't work too hard to workaround a beta product.
    IE releases in particular often have more or less functionality than their betas.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hiding the address bar was a common function performed by pages pretending to be a part of another site in order to capture passwords/financial details. Browsers therefore no longer allow the field to be hidden in order to allow people to see what site they are on.
    Stephen J Chapman

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

paths in url

I forgot to say - Hi santosh123, welcome to the forums,
    I don't know if you have a PHP site, and I don't know your reasons for wanting to do this, but if you are trying to prevent hotlinking to images etc, there are better ways. Maybe you could use SESSION variables? But these are server-side solutions, not client-side javascript. Can you give more info on what your reasons are for wanting this? In other words, the goal, not the process.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is anyone here can answer the question...i think all here are beginners!!!!!!it looks like you all dont know anything....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, the question was well and thoroughly answered. Perhaps you are a beginner, at reading.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We know that browsers no longer allow the address bar of an existing window to be hidden for security reasons which means that we are not beginners. You are worse than a beginner because you continue to ask how to do something even after the experts have told you that it can't be done.
    Stephen J Chapman

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats answer!!!straight to the point...thats the way i like...im really sorry cause im so frustrated because this research is an urgent task...our client really annoys with that seach bar,, even if its a pop up screen that address bar appears.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can hide the address bar (and other toolbars) in a popup window opened using Javascript by specifying toolbar=no in the third parameter of the window.open command. Of course the window can only be opened like that when Javascript is enabled and if the window.open isn't in the onclick of a link then it will most likely be blocked by at least some popup blockers.
    Stephen J Chapman

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    those who say it cant be done should not bother people who are doing it..I DID IT..

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It can still only be done in those browsers that allow it and more and more browsers are implementing security to disable options such as this.
    Stephen J Chapman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Otepotep,

Here are some links that may help you develop the reading skills you apparently lack:
    http://www.reading-now.com/
    http://www.ed.gov/programs/readingfirst/index.html
    http://topsites.primarygames.com/in.php?id=252
    http://www.time4learning.com/

The materials available at these sites should also help you in forming coherent sentences, with proper capitalization and punctuation. Such communication skills are important to the use of the forums' resources. The good new is that little more than a fifth-grade skill level is generally required.

Good luck and I'm sure we all look forward to hearing back from you once you have mastered basic reading and communication skills.

SitePoint Enthusiast saadatshah's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont be so harsh JVLB he said he did it Ask him HOW?
    Traffic School - Driver Ed - Defensive Driving
    Texas Defensive Driving - Online Traffic School
    Real Estate License
    Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry, saadatshah, if my tone appears harsh, but the answer to the how and why hiding the location bar sometimes does and sometimes doesn't work is contained in the first two posts (albeit, the original poster misspelled 'location'). My colleagues Mittineague and felgall then went to considerable trouble to expand on the subject and were rewarded with otepotep's insults and demeaning comments. I offered my comments in the hope that otepotep's deficiencies were in education, not character. If in fact, the latter is the case, I haven't been nearly harsh enough.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh my JVLB...your so far to the topic and it appears that your brain is really empty..i know that im not perfect thats why im here just finding some answers,,but in your words like that, i think you need to go back to school and study moral values...

anyway...IE7 beta8 has a bugs regarding of enabling some security options...just install beta3 and enable the ff.

-allow scripting of internet web browser control
    -allow websites to open window w/o address bar or status bar
    -active scripting

i do the it in jscript like this

function LoadFavorites(bom_id, BomRef){
    var win_width = 700
    var win_height = 550
    var loc_left = (screen.width/2) - (win_width/2)
    var loc_top = (screen.height/2) - (win_height/2)
    var url = "BOMMain.aspx?ispopup=yes&bom_id=" + bom_id + "&BomRef=" +BomRef //+ "&istodrag=1"
    var name = "BOMMain_" + replaceChars(bom_id,"-","Z")
    var style = "top=" + loc_top + ", left=" + loc_left +
    "toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no," +
    "status=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=no," +
    "resizable=no,copyhistory=no,width=" + win_width +
    ",height=" + win_height
    var c_win = window.open(url,name,style);
    c_win.focus();
    }

THE purpose of this script is to load a pop up page the var style are used to remove some toolbars including the address ar,, i used it on asp.net 2.0

i hope i just give the clear answer unlike the punk that pretending that he knows evrything....but in the end it appears nothing!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What removes the location bar is the window.open parameter 'location=no', as was described in the initial post.

I never claimed to know 'evrything', that seems your exclusive province; I just recognize an unsavory personality when presented with its demeaning and self-aggrandizing bluster. And I had so hoped it was simply ignorance and not a despicable personality that was the source of your reprehensible conduct. Oh well, I'm sure your mother is far more disappointed than I.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh my JVLB..you're overeacting, dont take it personally..i only want to participate here to learn and to share and not like that..i never meant to disturb you..just be COOL and FEED your MIND!!

Regarding your question...yeah you're right that the location=no removes that...but take note IE7 security is more complicated....just always enable the Active Scripting to allow your client side scripts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please accept my apologies if I misinterpreted the insults you so glibly dispensed earlier. Perhaps you only intended it as abrasive banter. I suppose over-reaction is in the eye of the beholder, but my reaction was not on my own behalf, but for those who spent time and effort explaining and informing, only to be slapped with your accusations of 'beginner' and impugnings of ineffectuality. I am sure I am not alone in finding such conduct offensive, not endearing.

I have only ever claimed to be a beginner, since my first programming class in spring semester of 1971. An experienced beginner, perhaps, but always a beginner. Lately, I've found Ruby to be a delightful place to begin, once again.

Thank you for your note regarding Active Scripting, but I was already aware of that. It is relevant to IE 6, as well.

An interesting article by Joel Spolsky came to light recently, which demonstrates JavaScript's worthy character, despite the general denigration it is subjected to by many so-called experts. I hope you find it rewarding: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2006/08/01.html

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im really sorry to for the word 'Beginners'.i never meant to offend you all, i just want to force everybody to find the answer like i did and i really love to share to all.

JVLB your skilled than me..and its an honor for me..thats why im here to learn from all of you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your apology and I must express my regret at my sad misjudgement of your character.

I should point out that the forums do have a search feature you might find helpful in the future, as it often permits finding answers more quickly, to questions like the ones posed here.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy C. Ankerstjerne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just want to be completely sure about this: In order for the code above to work, the user has to actively change his/her security settings? If so, it doesn't seem like a viable possibility, since
    * those who would be willing to change their security settings based on the instructions of a website wouldn't know how and
    * those who would know how to change their security settings based on the instructions of a website wouldn't do so.
    Christian Ankerstjerne
    <p<strong<abbr/HTML/ 4 teh win</>
    <>In Soviet Russia, website codes you!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you really have a point on that..but microsoft intended to do it for some security reasons..but currently, im really working hard to do a script that will enables it from the registry.but if someone here have a better idea..please share it..