SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surrey Home builder - Speysides' new site

Do you think this site will do the trick?
    http://www.speyside-developments.co.uk
    I couldn't resist the temptation to use a bit of flash, as you can see.
    If you were looking to buy a new home would you be tempted?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find the site too dark, maybe try a lighter shade of green.

Also try and get rid of the frames as scrolling within a page is a nightmare if you are on a mobile device!

I actually live in the area, how about a fantastic deal on a new house?
    www.millionaireadventure.co.uk
    Follow my adventure as I pursue my dream of being a millionaire.
    It's not just about the money, it's about the journey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When trying to get to your website using Opera9, I am being redirected to http://www.speyside-developments.co.uk/xhtml/index.html . Any particular reason why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Answers to many questions

It might look like frames but there are no frames as such.

The site re-directs to a mobile version of the site. Therefore there should be no problem with mobile phones.

On the other hand Opera - the php doing the re-direct detects opera is a mobile device. I need to get Opera and see what the php script thinks it is.

... just downloaded OPERA. I'm not an expert on browsers but I was hoping all browsers declared "user_agent" as MOZILLA. But OPERA has to be different. So I fixed it now, but I expect the same might happen with other browsers.

Finally - contact the developer to see if he has any deals. He could have!

SitePoint Enthusiast givemeplain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the site even though it is very dark. I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but in firefox the left nav drastically expands vertically on rollover and even pushes the nav below where it is supposed to go I think.

The flash header is nice .. but makes the whole site look kind of eerie. I would suggest doing a little color on the logo to make it stand out more from the rest of the site.

Good luck
    wantavatar - web comic!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got carried away...

Sorry about the navigation. I got carried away trying to make everything validate (accoring to validator on w3c.org). But I did it by "fixing" the code and checking it in Firefox - I didn't check any other browsers while I worked away diligently for several hours! Finally everything looked OK. I stuck "w3c html 4.01" logos on the bottom of all the valid pages and sat back smugly. Then I looked at the site in IE6 (bad) and then in Netscape (dreadful) - The navigation has gone mad on all the "valid" pages. I'm determined to try to make as many pages as possible validate so my guess is I can fix it with css. If not I'll have to rip out all those "valid html" logos...
    One way or another I'll fix it by tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I fixed it now. I was using a css tag for font size "v-small". It seemed that all the browsers managed to do something with this with the original DOCTYPE I was using. But I changed the DOCTYPE to make get the HTML to validate and suddenly v-small didn't mean anything to IE6 and NETSCAPE. Sorry - I hope the site is reviewable again.

PS - You might need to do ctrl-F5 to flush out the bad css from your cache.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've gone mad

I've gone mad for validation and rss feeds. Do you think this will help the site at all?

Aside from getting all the pages to validate and putting rss feeds in I've done quite a few changes since I asked for a review initially. I'd appreciate any comments you have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The neon green looks like some science fiction stuff. They said so above, too. I'd drop it, to look more respectable.
    Oh, just moused over and saw that was the flash. Doesn't add anything to the site, and it actually is wasted space near the top of your code. Your search engine optimization could do with proper content up there. I'd just drop the header if I were you. It's unnecessary.

Your left nav works fine in my mozilla. The words might be better chosen with respect to your keyword targeting though. Ditto for the name of the business and such. Do you want engine traffic for speyside homes or developments? Your site looks ambiguous and undecided at the moment.

On a friendly note, you may care to check out my seo newsletter for more tips (see my sig)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    irodgers I think you are looking for property buyers and all I can say is, if I were a potential buyer I wouldn't look further than your homepage. Yea, its a bit harsh but that's what I think.

So, just take a look at the website for Parc Rittenhouse. Now,I know that Parc Rittenhouse is a very expensive website and all that elegant stuff. Check out the good use of Flash. Subtlety counts in selling property, even when its a studio apartment, even when its the worst property you are going to sell.

But I think you can build a very nice website. Use those fine images you got there. Check out the pastel colors, select them. A good idea is to select colors from a picture you are going to use. You know the little whites and pastel colors that make up a picture that's a good place to start picking colors.

Hope this helps, and not put you off. Best of luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, its a nice site

Quote Originally Posted by syedasif
    So, just take a look at the website for Parc Rittenhouse. Now,I know that Parc Rittenhouse is a very expensive website and all that elegant stuff.
    Yes, its a nice website. Do you know how much it cost?

I know not everyone likes dark colours. But not everyone likes pastel colours either. We're not trying to make houses for Goths or Satanists but they're not excluded, and there are plenty of other people who like dark colours. In fact the dark green was chosen because thats Speyside colouring on their other marketing material (ie signs, letterheads etc).

I know there's this theory that the top part of the page is more important but I'm not even sure if thats true. To my bewilderment I found that one search engine (a big one) carefully created indexes to the individual developments pages using the disclaimer wording at the bottom of each page as the description of those pages in its index. The disclaimers were identically worded on each page. I hurredly added the name of each development into the disclaimers so that, if they continue to index them, at least there is some information on their links.

I don't think it matters where I put the header - or whether its flash or a jpg - I will admit its probably a bit wide though, particularly as I'm trying to squeeze a site search into the page header too.

Do you think a static "logo" at the top is better than flash? If so why?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well I like it. seems to be a nice layout and the colors arent that bad although you could lighten it up a little... Not sure if Im liking the flash though... that type of alpha rotating object is a little outdated... but all in all its a nice site. :-)