SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Selling websites ethic's & business practices.

I would like to know if this is something I should worry about or feel like I ripped them off.

I started an auction off at $250.00 at sitepoint got a bid for $300.00 and then sold it for BIN.

The only thing was I was going to help them promote the website. Which to my understand was to point the buyer in the right direction. I listed in the auction that I was selling because I did not have time to update or mess with the domain. for instance promotion of the domain.

When it was sold I directed the person to a place that they could advertise the domain and get valid unique hits to the website, but they expected me to pay for the advertising with the auction money. Which was never agreed upon. I told them about the place, then I told them to sign up, and then said go ahead and add moeny to the account and that was the last I heard of it.

They ask me for a link on one of my other websites, but that website I only was offering paid links on the website at that time. So, I said a link back on that website would be 3$ a week (which I am charging the other two people on the website that has links on it.). They did say anything back.

Then just today I get this from the same person.

Quote Originally Posted by them
    i just noticed that youd advertised ******** on a different forum on the 1st June for only $250, so you ripped me off.
    Here was my reply to sum up the way I feel about this.

Quote Originally Posted by me
    Please, don't throw accusations around. I tried various prices at different places. I did try different forums with different prices which is with in my rights to do. Different factors effected what I choose to list it at upon different forums. The BIN price listed upon sitepoint is what I thought it was worth for a quick no hassle don't have to deal with loosing in a auction price. The auction price was started at 250$ what was listed was rock bottom price I wanted for it. Something I did not think it was worth but I could live with. You had the choice to bid along with the others, but you choose to by pass and get the buy it now price. Which is higher then what you might of paid for it if you continued to bid upon it, but that is the choose you made. Maybe we should take this to a discussion on this forum over different prices of websites on various forums and what is within' the rights of the domain owner.

They replied:
    well its not only that, the traffic and revenue seems to be considerably less than expected

My reply:
    Quote Originally Posted by Orginal Auction
    Assume no traffic or revenue, but some of them do have traffic and revenue.
    I posted that in the orginal sell of the websites I was selling.

Should I feel like I ripped them off? Should I feel bad about the transaction? I am in the bussiness to make money not to give out deals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you clearly stated in the ad on SP the things(don't assume traffice, no advertising) then I would say you are free and clear. And as for the guy thinking he got ripped off at the $300BIN price he needs to go to wikipedia and look up the definition to BUY IT NOW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Accually just learned something interesting.

MercExchange holds three patients on the "Buy It Now" business method. So, anytime something is listed and sold at the buy it now price it is infringing on the patents.

Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    On 28 May 2003 a US District Court federal jury found eBay guilty of patent infringement and ordered the company to pay US$35 million in damages. The jury found for plaintiff MercExchange, which had accused eBay in 2001 of infringing on three patents (two of which are used in eBay's "Buy It Now" feature for fixed-price sales) held by MercExchange founder Tom Woolston. The decision was appealed to the US Federal Court of Appeals and was upheld in part and rejected on others, but MercExchange was granted injunctive relief. On May 15, 2006 the U.S. Supreme Court unanimously reversed, in EBay v. MercExchange, and sent the case back to the district court to reconsider injunctive relief under the standard four-part test for an injunction.[12] Note that business method patents are themselves a highly controversial subject as many people, even in the United States, contest their validity.
    So, that makes one of my websites illegal?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you kidding about the illegal comment?

He has due diligence to perform. If the sites were recieved to him as descrbed at the time of purchase, than any downfall from there is his fault or an outside force (ie. Google rank if they change their algo after purchase coincidentally).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are thousands of dumb patents. And, it would seem, at least one dumb buyer.

He's just trying to get more out of you. Agree to disagree, wish him well, and then blacklist his email address. If you feel generous, give him a text link for a week. $3- Whoopie! Personally, I wouldn't be generous with this guy.

BP
    ->Outsource Here<-
    Dreaming of the 4 Hour Workweek? Visit SigePo and start living
    a more relaxed lifestyle. Mention SitePoint for special pricing.