SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ruby on Shared Hosting

How does RoR work on shared hosting? Do they allow you to develop from the command line or is there a different way of doing things?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it better to develop locally, but shared hosts that provide Rails support typically give you shell access. From the shell you can access RI, IRB (Including script/console and the like.") and the Ruby interpreter.

SitePoint Guru silver trophy Luke Redpath's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't develop on your hosts if you are using shared hosting, its not the place for it.

Personally I think Rails hosting on shared services is a bit of a no go area, its never reliable in my experience - its far better to get a dedicated box, or a vps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Redpath
    Don't develop on your hosts if you are using shared hosting, its not the place for it.

Personally I think Rails hosting on shared services is a bit of a no go area, its never reliable in my experience - its far better to get a dedicated box, or a vps.
    its quite interesting suggestion. if your words come true then php would not be reliable.

If some hosting support ruby, then how the question comes about reliability?? the same you can think like php.

Kind Regards

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I agree with Luke. We're not saying you need to have a dedicated server, rimuhisting do a VPS server for $20 a month which is a similar price to most quality shared hosting plans.

The difference between a rails and php site is that php interprets static resources through an interpreter, whereas a rails application persists between requests. Therefore someone else running a dodgy rails app on your shared hosting box can be swallowing up all your resources.

A VPS offers the same benefits of shared hosting but the system resources are partitioned so only your apps can use your resources.

You then have the added benefit of being able to install your own gems and your web server of choice too which is not possible on a shared host.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using bluehost for $6.95 a month and have had no problems so far.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I just signed up for BlueHost and plan on developing locally, creating (rake) the structure on the shared host, and then upload the individual files that I have locally to the shared host. I am just testing out rails right now anyway (originally from CakePHP), nothing big enough to justify a VPS yet. Thanks for the input.

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have a look at: http://www.asmallorange.com/

Also instead of shared hosting you might want to look into virtual private servers. A little more than shared but alot less then dedicated.
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users