SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ban for swearing?

In my community I have a member who posts lots of posts everyday, but he swears in a few of them. I have warned him many times to cut it out, but he doesn't stop. I want his posts, but does he not respect my rules? Also how important is it to not allow swearing? Is it too suppressive not to allow some?
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

Not a post-script error?!! guysmy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Is there a swearing filter on your board? I've set my Ikonboard up so that swearing is automatically eliminated.

It's not suppressive, how hard is it to NOT type in a swear word? I'm sure you don't want the board to appear all ghetto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is the quality of this member's posts? If he isn't obeying you, you have to make an important decision - is he worth it? Has he replied to your requests of stopping the swearing?

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    put him on probation....if that doesn't deal with the d*** (j/k) guy then I don't know what will. Seriously, if he doesn't shape up, after multiple admin warnings, can him. It doesn't matter how good his posts are.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd have to concur with everyone thus far. I have yet to have a real occurance when someone won't stop swearing, but similar events for sure, and if people don't abide by the guidelines of my sites, they just won't be around long... everyone is held to the same rules, even me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or you can allow each person to swear only once, and filter all their next posts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose it will depend on the nature of your audience. Here at SPF we have a really wide variety of people, from young to old, women, men and all kinds of different cultures etc. Therefore what I might consider to be inoffensive could be extremely offensive to others.

You have to look to protect the majority of your users. If most of them aren't going to mind about a little swearing then I wouldn't worry too much. If however the demographics of your site are similar say to SPF then you must put on a filter.

However even the starred posts can be offensive so if he continues to ignore your wishes you must ban him. If you don't, you may well keep him, but lose a lot more people in the process.

I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky