SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was recently thrown into the webmaster position at my company. I'm eager to do well, but don't really know what I need to know, except that it's a lot. Our site is up and running, and doesn't require a lot of updating. I know Front Page very well, but don't know much HTML. I'm OK at Photoshop. I was wondering if some of you webmasters could give me some advice as to what I should learn right away.

Thanks.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would start with HTML. Then CSS, JavaScript, some graphic editors (fireworks, for example, thats what I like to use). That's just for starts. Very basic stuff.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, HTML is must. Learn it, live it, love it. Then move on to PERL and ASP.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HTML, ASP, ASP, ASP.

------------------
    http://www.braveweb.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What server platform is your company's site running off of? This is an important factor in deciding what language to familiarize yourself with, once you have learned HTML and JavaScript (the most important and easiest languages IMHO). I would recommend ditching the Frontpage, as well. It tends to change code without your approval. I would go for a more powerful program like Dreamweaver (my editor of choice).

I understand what you are going through, as I was in a similar situation about a year ago (and am still learning). All I can say is read, read, read, and make your company send you to some training classes! Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should learn Perl or PHP, both are cross platform and well, excellent really