User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whitespace... how to control it..?

This is more of a discussion thread.

Many of the reviews in the Website Reviews section of the forums report that a designer has allowed to much white to creep into the pages.

So a question then:

How is it that some sites, for example, www.genie.co.uk, www.avantgo.com or www.handspring.co.uk can get away with having quite a lot of white... whereas on other sites it looks wrong?

What do you do to get the compromise between too much or too little white, right?
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i assume you're referring to white spaces as in screen space which is white instead of whitespaces(as in spaces, newlines, tabs)

i think that it'd really depend on the look the designer wants to achieve... white gives a really clean look that most colours can't... i've nothing against too much white if the overall effect is good...

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oops i just realised that i probably misread your post... what are you referring to exactly?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by redemption
    oops i just realised that i probably misread your post... what are you referring to exactly?
    You weren't far off... I was just referring to pages that have a lot of white on them (i.e. no background colour, no major coloured left/right borders headers/footers... )

This is a really good example: www.handspring.co.uk --> loads of whitespace around the page, but it doesn't look "wrong".
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the keys are balancing the size of the elements, and choosing perfect colors. If the eye can follow the page comfortably, and easily absorb information while scanning from section to section, then the white space won't capture the eye.

It's what really makes a world-class designer, and I think it takes years to cultivate. No offense to any web-only designers, but people with strong print backgrounds seem to have a better grasp of it in my experience. I wish I could do it better, but I know I can't as well as some of the designers I code for.

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Genie wouldn't run so I won't comment.

The second one uses uniform whitespace. All of the distances between wording and pictures is the same giving it a good feel. The only time white space looks horrible is when it is out of place. Such as a situation where the whole content section is .5 inch down from the heard and everything else is tight together.

The third site. I don't really like the look of. Column one has too much whitespace in it, compared to the other columns.

Now, I think outer white space it find. Lots of sites pull it off well without jamming the page full of info. It is internal whitespace that usually bugs my eye.
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think when a site has a lot of color and the white space is not on an important place of the website, then it usually looks ok. The white around the site gives you a comfortable feeling.

HandSpring.co.uk still has a bit too much white IMO, but it's because they use bright colors to drag the attention of the eye to their navigation.
    Jeroen Mulder

w: www.jeroenmulder.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the correct amount of white space around an object can draw your attention to it, make it stand out, make it look better. too much however can make it look out of palce.