User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Implementing a CMS/News system.

<--If this is not in the proper forum mods please move it. Or if you believe it can be better answered else where please help me out with that. Thanks-->

When asking this question elsewhere this is the response I recieved

Any news script would work. You just kill all templates/styles for the cms, then add in the designs header info for that content area instead. On the site's index (the design) you then set the main content frame to the cms's index page.

My question is

Is there a method that you use to implement a CMS into your designs (XHTML/CSS).

Side questions

Easiest way to go about it? Easiest CMS to implement? Something tag based would be awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is is you want to do?

Many CMSs these days are template based. You can implement your designs in the templates and any content poured into that template will adhere to that design.

There's loads of options out there: Wordpress, Textpattern, ExpressionEngine, Joomla, Mambo, Drupal, PointDynamics, etc etc etc...
    Olly Hodgson
    thinkdrastic.net

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gnarly
    What is is you want to do?

Many CMSs these days are template based. You can implement your designs in the templates and any content poured into that template will adhere to that design.
    Yah I know. But I've heard of tag based systems where you can just plug in [content] or [leftmenu] right into your design. i belive modx has a "snippet" system that does something similar.

I just hate having to design around their templates.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Immerse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What exactly are you expecting the CMS to do for you?

If you want a dynamic site based on templates, you'll have to tell the CMS where to put the content at some point. Using placeholders such as [content] or even <page item="content" /> is the easiest and (imo) best way to do this.

You could of course do what the quote in your first post said, and that is simply to create a template in the CMS with only one placeholder in it (say [content]). But then you'd have to place the entire markup of each and every page into the system, totally negating the benefits any CMS gives you. It'll end up being a glorified (and mis-used) file manager type of thing...

And what happens half a year later, when you decide to change the design of your site? Using a CMS you simply change the template, reposition the placeholders if necessary, and you're done. The way described in the first post would mean you have to go through every single page, changing the layout!