User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who is right? (Copyright)

Hello every one
    I am a customer with an programmer. The programmer said that he want to put his name and his website in the pages that he programmed it, while I do not. Does he has the right to do that? or he can but his name inside the coding but not in front of pages which I do not mined.
    In another way, I do not let people know who programmed my site (for some reasons) but I do not mined if he write his name inside coding but does not appear for visitor. Am I have a right to stop that?
    If there is a source for your answer please drop it here.

regards

Note: I am not sure about the right place for my question, apologize me if I wrote in wrong forum

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does your written agreement say with respect to that question?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi sonjay
    Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately the agreement does not say anything about my question. He said it is international law (common known law) and we do not need to say anything about it (he means, writing the name of the programmer in the pages of the project is known internationally and it is by the law and a part of programmer right(. Is he right?

regards,
    Last edited by Acustomer; Jul 12, 2006 at 15:24.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you agreed to this in the project contract, you are not required to allow him to put a link to his site/creditation on your site.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shadowbox is right -- in the absence of a clause in the contract addressing this issue, there's no such requirement.

It's not uncommon for a programmer to include such credits -- it might even be considered customary -- but there's no law requiring it, or requiring you to allow it. If it's so important to the programmer, he should have addressed it in the contract.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Acustomer
    He said it is international low (common known low) and we do not need to say anything about it (he means, writing the name of the programmer in the pages of the project is known internationally and it is by the low and a part of programmer right
    If it's such a commonly known law he should have no trouble pointing you to websites that talk about this.

Don't worry he won't be able to, he's making stuff up.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much guys. I will drop this to the programmer, hope he understand that.

Note: I have changed law. Really sorry.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

Infact i have had this problem alot and have always lost the battle, now knowing this i will sort out there links on my sites and get them deleted.

Thanks to all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiked
    Hello,

Infact i have had this problem alot and have always lost the battle, now knowing this i will sort out there links on my sites and get them deleted.
    Thanks to all.
    It depends on the contract/agreement. Some designers/coders request it, some dont. If you agree to have it on the web page, or they insist and do the job with the understanding, then it must stay there.
    Spoiltchild Design Consultancy - Design | Web | Motion
    Rudeball - Spot the Ball game engine for your site.
    Wedding Tickers Counting down to your wedding..

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleFigment
    or they insist and do the job with the understanding, then it must stay there.
    Sorry but nope.

Misunderstandings are not enforceable in a court of law.

One other tip to the original poster. If you've given access to your server to the developer make sure you change the passwords once the work is complete in case they get mad that you've removed their links.