SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm doing a site on a PC using Fusion (previously Pagemill). Everything looks okay on the PC with IE, but on the Mac in IE (both latest versions), the fonts are all smaller, so columns don't necesssarily line up or fill the spaces I've allowed for. I changed the setting on the Mac to large fonts -- heck, I tried them all -- but there was no change at all. Is there something to be done that makes the sites look the same on the Mac as on the PC? I've checked other sites (msn.com, zdnet.com)and there sites look the same on the Mac and PC. I'm not talking about Java scripts -- that all works. It's just the fonts. And I'm using standard fonts, Times, Arial.

------------------
    Robin Stark

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Standard fonts on one machine are non-existant on another. Times and Arial are PC fonts and aren't on a Mac by default. Your getting caught with two things here.. 1. You don't specify a font for the mac to fall back on so it uses whatever the default is set to. Second on a Windows PC there is 96 DPI per inch while on a Mac there is 72 DPI per inch. Or at least that is how the machines assume it is set when they render fonts. Fonts always appear a little larger on Windows PC's than on Mac's unless you account for this difference. So if you set your font for 12 pts. on the Windows PC you might set it for 14 pts. if your using a Mac.

Of course you can't have total control over this so you need to come up with a style that fits all fonts and build around that.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    Internet Media Provider

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also include "Helvetica" in your font tag, as it is the Macintosh's version of the PC font "Arial".

Sparkie

------------------
    Leave Your Mark!
    www.pawsitronic.com

Your one-stop web design solution!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have Helvetica listed. I have a font family in the HTML code that lists about six different fonts. So it's using the right font, it's just noticeably smaller. I guess I will have to keep going back and forth checking on both computers to see what works and what doesn't - a very long process.

------------------
    Robin Stark